S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

help my s2000 died and warranty won't pay the repairs

Old 03-02-2004, 10:15 AM

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

I wonder if I smell a cover up on the dealer/service center's part.

Service tech: "Oops, forgot to fill the oil back up" or oops, looks like we didn't torque the drain bolt back up".

Service Manager: "Let's just blame this on the customer's over-rev."

Service tech: "What do we do if he asks us to see the ECU print-out"

Service Manager: "We'll tell him that he can't see it and only the priviledged can."
Old 03-02-2004, 10:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

jUST A question, if the computer records you were doing 8800 rpm when the engine broke, do you think honda would cover it?? just a question, sorry if off topic alil bit..If you believe they wont cover it, what rpm do you think they would cover at if your computer recorded when your engine failed. Thanks
Old 03-02-2004, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a good friend who is a longtime Honda dealer. I asked him if they could read off the ECM what rpm an engine was going just as it blew up. He said to the best of his knowledge DEALERS HAVE NO WAY OF DOING THIS. He said he wouldn't be surprised if AHM could access that data but he was pretty sure dealers can't.

Considering this and the fact that the dealer won't show the data to Oscar makes me think he is definitely getting a B/S job.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:20 AM

If I had a dealer perform an oil change, and I was driving later on in the day, smelled oil, and found that the engine had cracked in half, the FIRST thing I'd do is check to see if the filter was loose or if there was any oil in the car at all. This is probably the first thing the dealer did - they researched which mechanic worked on the car and if he properly filled it with oil.

Good luck! I would think you would definitely know if you over-revved it to 15k RPM ... hard to miss the engine shrieking like that and the car slowing down dramatically.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Solution, take it to another dealer. If there is any other around.

About the question of 8800 RPM, yes Honda has to cover it because the car redlines at 8900 RPM.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:32 AM

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tachman
If I had a dealer perform an oil change, and I was driving later on in the day, smelled oil, and found that the engine had cracked in half, the FIRST thing I'd do is check to see if the filter was loose or if there was any oil in the car at all.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:33 AM

Am I missing something here? Doesn't the S2000 have a fuel shut off when max allowable rpm is reached? All of my prior sports cars did. Assuming it does, how can one over rev unless you down shift incorrectly?
Old 03-02-2004, 10:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does only honda cover it or is every manufacturer suppose to cover it if your engine breaks near redline.. Cant they say you were racing. My friend has a corvette and they told him that he does have a black box which if the engine breaks and he was going over 5,500 rpm, or 6,000 rpm, they would void the warranty cause your not suppose to take the car that high. They prob classify that as racing. WEll hopefully your right, I dont know why so many people have but in the form they misgeared and messed up the engine. NOt sure if this is what happen to this guy.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:57 AM
Banned

john, thats what they are talking about when they are talking over-rev, a mechanical over-rev due to mis-shift. Otherwise, it is impossible to over-rev the car on acceleration.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im sorry but I dont think the dealer cant tell you they cannot cover you becaseu you were going on high RPM, I think that's just . Then why does the car redlines at 9K RPM? If they find that the car was taken over that I totally understand but they cannot deny coverage because you get close to redline. Well I think If its like that they should do something about the warranty crap.

Quick Reply: help my s2000 died and warranty won't pay the repairs