S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Help Moving S2K!

Old 09-18-2005, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Moving S2K!

I will be moving to Las Vegas within the next week or so from Iowa. While I try and figure out the best way for me to move my stuff (which isnt much) I needed some tips from S2000 owners on towing one.

Since I dont have 1k bucks to have the car delivered, if anyone would have any information that would be helpful I would be great.

The Uhaul web site says that the s2k is not recommended to be towed with their dolly, is this because of getting the car onto the dolly or scraping the back once its up?

I could put most of my stuff into my fathers truck, then tow the car behind. That would be ideal.

Hints, opinions?

Thanks!
Old 09-18-2005, 10:53 PM

Hmm, whatever you do, make sure you're flatbedding the car, not towing it. The S2000 should never be towed, under any circumstances. (see owner's manual)

Could you move to Las Vegas, then fly back to Iowa when you have a free weekend and drive it there?

Be careful shipping your car, if you choose to do so. A friend of mine had his car held for ransom for a week. Huge hassle. Make sure you use a reputable shipping company.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:10 AM

u haul and ryder rent flat trailers.. ihave towed a corvette on a ryder trailer.. they have some that are aluminum..

you may need a couple 1x10''s and cut them in varied lengths so that you can lay them on the ramp to lessen the approach angle.. to avoid scraping..

that is what i did..

'worked very nicely..

good luck in vegas
Old 09-19-2005, 03:16 AM

Happs has the right idea -- drive your stuff out, fly back, and pick up the S. (There are almost always cheap airfares in and out of LV.)

If you don't do this, you're missing a huge opportunity to take the S on a road trip, to Julesburg on I-80; SW to Denver on I-76; through the Rockies and the best part of Utah on I-70; and down to LV on I-15. HPH
Old 09-19-2005, 07:31 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Or have someone drive the truck and caravan the S with them. Then they can help you unload and you can fly them back when your all done.

They can have a little "play time" in Vegas before going home.

Win-Win!!!
Old 09-19-2005, 08:28 AM

I moved from Ohio to Maryland, and towed my S on the back of my F-150. I rented a flatbed trailer from U-Haul. I can't remember how much it was, but it was definetly cheaper than paying for the gas for another car on the trip. I've also towed a few other cars for other people, an myself, and I think this is usually the way to go if you have a truck that can do it. You will definetly need at least 2 2x10" boards, or maybe more depending on the design of the trailer. You will need them for the ramp (or find a hill that you can work with), then you will probably need more boards if you want to use the tow straps that are installed on the trailer (you would probably have to raise the front tires a little so the bumper will clear the bars at the front of the trailer). I usually don't use the installed tow straps, since I have my own straps and the car usually doesn't have to go all the way towards the front. If you decide to go the trailer route, rember to add in additional gas money, since the truck will guzzle it up with the added weight, and depending on if it's a standard/automatic, you will either drive in lower gears or NOT in overdrive. Hope that helps!
Old 09-19-2005, 09:13 AM

I looked at flatbeds from UHaul and couldnt find any one the webite. I will look at Ryder right now.

Thanks for all the posts... and DrCloud yes, I was looking at the fun that drive could be.

If anyone knows forsure the link for UHaul flatbeds it would be great.. or any other company that rents flatbeds.

This place is great...
Old 09-19-2005, 09:16 AM

found this from Budget just now.... what u think?

http://www.budgettruck.com/budgettruck/con...ies/default.asp