S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Help me negotiate for a 2004 S2K!

Old 07-06-2003, 01:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help me negotiate for a 2004 S2K!

Hi. I have absolutely decided to buy the 2004 S2K in black as soon as it hits the lots. However, I would really enjoy the car a lot more if I could get a good deal. There must be some way to get the car for less than MSRP.

What would happen if I walked in, test drove the car and said, "I'll buy the car right now if you give it to me for $29,700." I'll even take out my checkbook for dramatic effect.

Can the superb negotiators on this forum help me with some hints and guidelines for getting a fair but great deal on Honda's little rocket?
Old 07-06-2003, 02:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For that price, please pick up one for me as well!
Old 07-06-2003, 02:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just dont act like you want the car soooo bad. pretend to be interested but not sure of buying the car... just ask alot of questions to act liek u dont really know the car as much... this way u can spend alot of time with the dealer whos selling you the car. after couple of hour u negotiate the price for the car. since the dealer spend soo much time with u on the car, hes not gonna give up on you until u buy it. but dont forget not to get too tempting to buy the car. negotiate until the price is right.... good luck
Old 07-06-2003, 02:52 AM

you won't find a 2004 for that price unless they're coming with cloth seats and 15" steel wheels with rear drum brakes; a 2003, maybe.honestly though, your cheap offer and you "dramatic" checkbook won't phase any sales person with any sort of drive for profit. why would they be excited to see your checkbook when the dealership and the sales person would make next to nothing? if you were a dealer, why would you sell your brand new 2004 inventory that, clearly from you post alone, will begin to have higher appeal for only Invoice or even less. come on. i don't want you to second guess your thoughts of getting an S2000, but do you normally walk into a dealership with a plan like this? is this something that's well though-out to you? if you want a price like that using a tactic like that, you may want to consider waiting till late winter 2005.

hope to see pics of your new S2000 in the near future.
Old 07-06-2003, 03:25 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SECRET AP1
[B] do you normally walk into a dealership with a plan like this? is this something that's well though-out to you? if you want a price like that using a tactic like that, you may want to consider waiting till late winter 2005.
Old 07-06-2003, 04:15 AM

Everything is not on the buyer's side though, when there are 10 buyers and one car available. Supply & demand would then allow dealers to set the price as high as somone is willing to pay. In my area, there are very few S2K's allocated, so they don't have to let them go very low (and they don't! They have rarely budged below retail, even in winter.)

If you have never bought a new car and have free time, go to a different dealership alltogether and practice your negotiating skills on a new, popular car (say a 350z). Yes, many times the sale price can be significantly lowered based on what you do. But other factors will also determine how far the dealer is willing to move as well.

Good luck!
Old 07-06-2003, 05:09 AM

This is how I have bought my last 6-8 new cars, including a S2000 last week: Don't focus on one dealer - include as many dealers as possible. Don't even go to a dealer - do it all by phone. Every dealer will have an "internet salesman", so try to talk with him - he will usually get to the bottom price much faster. Take offers and make it clear that the lowest price gets your business. If you have a big enough dealer pool, you will always find one hungry dealer. If a dealer won't play, drop him like a hot potato. This process will get you the lowest price available, but not necessarily a price as low as you would like. One other tactic - focus on the last day of the month and quarter - you will always find a dealer that needs to sell one more car to make a quota. Good luck!
Old 07-06-2003, 05:16 AM

What I didn't make clear is that this is an iterative process - go back and forth between the dealers, until only one dealer remains. This will be the lowest price available at that time.
Old 07-06-2003, 05:28 AM

Thanks for the replies, everyone. In my area, each dealer has at least three 2003 S2Ks, some have as many as nine left on the lot.

Talking to the internet salesman is a great idea. I can do it all by phone. Thanks.
Old 07-06-2003, 05:51 AM

Definately shop! I suggest that you even get prices from outside of your immediate area. I shop within a 150 mile radius and usually am able to negotiate with local dealers to match my best price.

Don't forget to negotiate for free regular maintenance and an accessorie or two. Dealerships wan't hesitate to throw in keyrings, caps, mugs,etc. but only if you ask.

Quick Reply: Help me negotiate for a 2004 S2K!