S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Help me to choose, it s still a Honda, no?

Old 09-03-2002, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me to choose, it s still a Honda, no?

Hi, today, in a couple of hours i think i am gonna buy the S 2000, but my friends and my family are telling me not to do so. Why? because they argue that , that amount of money is definitely not worth a Honda. And actually it s true, the Honda i want to buy is fully equipped and cost like 36000$, for that price i could buy a Jaguar x type, a mercedes C 320, a porsche boxter for a couple of thousand of dollars more or a 3 serie 325 convertible, i mean i could afford a well known brand.... and all my friends tell me , a honda is a honda, maybe the s 2000 is good, but it s still a honda , and it won t be considered as a serious car.....

Could you guys please help me on my decision , myself, i just fell in love with the car, .... but money wise, i think about the other things i could buy
Old 09-03-2002, 08:47 AM

Buy the car you want! You will be driving it and you must be happy with the decision. I recommend test driving the cars if possible and then make your decision. I made mine! You should be able to get the S2000 for list price or slightly above.
Old 09-03-2002, 08:52 AM

When it comes down to it they are all "just" cars. I look at it this way, ya, it's a Honda. What does that mean? Historically, great reliability, lower cost, high quality. Is it a marque that will turn heads just because of the name? No, maybe not. Is it a marque that you're paying an extra few grand for JUST BECAUSE of the name? Again, no. I've always been a person who will generally regardless of name or brand reputation buy the best product available to me at any given time. Can you get more snob factor with your Jag, Benz, Porsche (which by the way unless you're getting a used one an S2000 is WAYYYYYY less than a boxter) or BMW? Sure, of course you can. Does snob factor make me feel better while I'm driving the car? No, not me. Buy the best bang for the buck car on the planet today. You've already fallen in love with the car, right? Well, don't listen to your family/friends because THEY haven't driven it. Of course, if you would stop dating someone because your family/friends didn't think she made enough money or wasn't the right "pedigree" then I'd say buy a Benz and take a leisurely trip to the country club with your pipe and elbow patches.....

My $.02.
Old 09-03-2002, 08:52 AM

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

Your friends seem way too concerned with driving status symbols. I bought the S2000 because I believe it to be the best all-around performing car under $50k. Frankly, I consider it to be a bargain at $32k. Point out to them that the NSX is essentialy a Honda, just has a different badge on the front. The S2k and NSX are even made at the same plant.
Old 09-03-2002, 09:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you're worried that it's JUST a honda.... rip all the honda badges off and replace them with Rick's badges... then no one will know what the car is....

at least ten times a week i get "what type of car is that" "honda s2000" "very nice"
Old 09-03-2002, 09:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Oeyilik
[B]Hi, today, in a couple of hours i think i am gonna buy the S 2000, but my friends and my family are telling me not to do so. Why? because they argue that , that amount of money is definitely not worth a Honda. And actually it s true, the Honda i want to buy is fully equipped and cost like 36000$, for that price i could buy a Jaguar x type, a mercedes C 320, a porsche boxter for a couple of thousand of dollars more or a 3 serie 325 convertible, i mean i could afford a well known brand.... and all my friends tell me , a honda is a honda, maybe the s 2000 is good, but it s still a honda , and it won t be considered as a serious car.....

Could you guys please help me on my decision , myself, i just fell in love with the car, .... but money wise, i think about the other things i could buy
Old 09-03-2002, 09:04 AM

Originally posted by Oeyilik
i mean i could afford a well known brand.... and all my friends tell me , a honda is a honda
Sorry for being cliche, but don't judge a book by its cover. It sounds to me like you're only looking for a status car; for a car to showoff to your friends, "I'm better than you because I have a Jaguar/Mercedes-Benz/BMW/Porsche." You need to test drive the cars; you'll find out which car is for you rather quickly.

But in my opinion, I say get one of those German/British cars; I don't think you deserve an S. You probably won't like it either. And I'm really sorry for sounding like a sadistic pig, but that's just my opinion...
Old 09-03-2002, 09:11 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

It makes me laugh when people come on a HONDA S2000 forum and say, "but it's only a Honda, blah, blah, blah". What kind of reply does he expect? Take it from someone who has an S2000 AND a BMW. There is 1,000 to 1 "head turn ratio" for the S2000.
Old 09-03-2002, 09:23 AM

Sochiro Honda will get more respect than Henry Ford, Ferry Porsche, or Mr. BMW. Was there really a Mr. BMW? If your friends and family do not recognize the superior value that any Japanese car represents (not just Honda) they'll be left holding the bag just like GM, Ford, and Chrysler did when they woke up one day and realized the Accord outsold and outlasted them all. Buy your conscience. You will grow as a person when you learn to make your own decisions.
Old 09-03-2002, 09:25 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by chipperman
Sochiro Honda will get more respect than Henry Ford, Ferry Porsche, or Mr. BMW. Was there really a Mr. BMW? If your friends and family do not recognize the superior value that any Japanese car represents (not just Honda) they'll be left holding the bag just like GM, Ford, and Chrysler did when they woke up one day and realized the Accord outsold and outlasted them all. Buy your conscience. You will grow as a person when you learn to make your own decisions.
Well said.

Quick Reply: Help me to choose, it s still a Honda, no?