S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

HELP! Honda is charging $82 for to clear SRS light!

Old 11-29-2003, 10:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Honda is charging $82 for to clear SRS light!

I have a major problem guys and would like any info or help on taking care of this situation of mine.

Well, First off, i just recently got a tv installed in my dashboard. I was very excited when i got the car back, but for some reason i notice my passenger srs light was on as i was driving away. I then turned around immediately and asked the shop why this happen. They told me it was common. They had to unplug the passenger side air bag and remove it, in order to install the monitor properly. I was also told that i could just go to honda and they would run the diagonostic test to reset the system at no charge.

I today, just recently went to honda world in westminster, ca and brought this issue to one of the service sales person. They told me it would cost $82 just to reset the system to clear the srs light!!

I know the shop should have taken this into consideration when they did the install and approaching this in a more professional manor, but there is nothing i can do about it now. Any help or tips on anywhere else i can go, I would great appreciate it!

Please let me know, if anyone is having the same problem. If not, sucks to be me.
Old 11-29-2003, 10:49 PM

call different dealers around your area and see if they would do it free.
Old 11-29-2003, 11:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please read the FAQ note. There is a link to clear this on your own.
Old 11-29-2003, 11:41 PM

I would talk to the shop that installed your monitor. Most reputable shops will take responsibility for triggering an SRS light and get it reset for you. You shouldn't have to pay to have it reset.
Old 11-30-2003, 05:54 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by allkingz
I would talk to the shop that installed your monitor.
Old 11-30-2003, 10:44 PM
bdo

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree - take it back to the shop that screwed it up! My dad used to install air conditioning in cars, and often had to take out airbags. He would have never, ever given a car back to a customer and told them to take it to the dealer to get the light reset, that's absurd. Just absurd. If the light is on, they did something wrong, or didn't do something right.

Take it back to them, explain that the dealer wants $82 to reset it and that you think they should take care of it. And go to a better radio/tv/whatever shopt next time.

Or maybe you'd be better off taking 3ngin33r1's advice and resetting it yourself. I don't know if I'd let that shop mess with my car any more. You don't just mess around with airbag wiring without knowing what you're doing, and obviously that's what they did.

Am I being overly harsh? Probably. But for a professional shop to give a customer their car back with an SRS light on and tell them to take it to the dealer to have it reset is just plain unacceptable.

Ok, I'll add something constructive finally. If it were my car, I think I'd pay the dealer the $82 for the peace of mind that my airbags will work if I need them. And I'd never let that shop touch my car again. WAY unprofessional.
Old 12-01-2003, 12:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a similar issue when I had my touchscreen installed. The shop did tell me before I picked up the car and explained to me that it was caused by the removal of the airbag wiring and when they reconnected the battery to test their motorization with it disconnected. They were certain that the wiring was put back correctly but they did not want to be liable for any sort of airbag failure by just clearing the light and letting it go. They asked me if I wanted to take it to the dealer to have it cleared/inspected and I could come back with a bill and they would reimburse or if I wanted to have them take it to the dealer to have it done.

They were very honest and upfront with me and I appreciated their want to take care of it no matter what I decided to do and I appreciated the fact that the didn't want to take on the liability if they did do something wrong with the wiring and wanted the dealer to inspect it at their cost just to be sure.

I opted to take the responsibility since I didn't want anyone to drive my car.

I don't think not clearing it was unprofessional, I think it would have been unprofessional if they had just cleared it and never said anything. I do think it's unprofessional to expect the customer to assume the responsibility financially unless they informed him prior to the work.

This shop should take care of the costs to clear the light and ensure the wiring is done right.
Old 12-01-2003, 05:36 AM

http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.p...hreadid=135685/
Old 12-04-2003, 08:39 PM
bdo

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 3ngin33r1
I don't think not clearing it was unprofessional, I think it would have been unprofessional if they had just cleared it and never said anything.
Old 12-05-2003, 03:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by 3ngin33r1
This shop should take care of the costs to clear the light and ensure the wiring is done right.
I agree the light should be cleared at the dealership to insure the system integrity and to make sure it was assembled correctly. If you are a regular at the dealership there should be no charge but if there is it should be reimbursed by the accessory shop.

Quick Reply: HELP! Honda is charging $82 for to clear SRS light!