S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Help: Brake Pads attached to Rotors

Old 07-23-2003 | 05:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help: Brake Pads attached to Rotors

Need some help guys. I noticed the last two times that after I wash my car, the next morning when I put the car to gear and give it gas, it seems as if the brakes are still engaged. I really need to give it a good amount of gas and realease the clutch more quickly to break the car loose. When it does break loose, there is a rather loud sound. Can someone tell me what this might be??? I'm pretty sure its water realted since it only happens after I was my car (the morning after) and if this is bad for the brakes/car. Many Thanks. Rob
Old 07-23-2003 | 05:10 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It is the pads rusting on to the rotors.. take a ride around the block and use the brakes after you wash the car.
Old 07-23-2003 | 05:27 AM

This happened to me this last weekend. It actually released pretty hard I thought I backed up into something so I got out and looked around and realized it was the brakes. I don't like to drive around right after I wash because there's still detailing to do (like zaino 6) and I don't want to get dirt/dust on the car from driving around before putting it on. Any other suggestions?
Old 07-23-2003 | 05:50 AM

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

This is a pretty common occurrence. Do a search, and you'll find that it has happened to just about everybody. It doesn't do any harm, but you can prevent it (or at least minimize it) by not engaging the parking brake when you wash the car. If necessary, block the wheels instead. Once all of the water is dried off, then you can reapply the parking brakes.

Or you can take your car for a ride to dry off the brakes, and rub off the rust film from the rotors, This too will prevent the rear brake pads from sticking to the rotors.
Old 07-23-2003 | 07:05 AM

Thanks for the advice guys. The sound definately freaked me out the first time. Sounded like something broke or cracked. Will go for a spin after I wash now. Thanks.
Old 07-23-2003 | 07:34 AM

keep the car in gear and dont use the e-brake after you wash your car...
Old 07-23-2003 | 07:39 AM

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

Leave the e-brake off after you wash, only the rear pads are sticking.

Or drive the car around the block before washing. If the rotors/pads are warm, the water will evaporate before they stick.
Old 07-23-2003 | 09:01 AM

what razor and jeff said!
Old 07-23-2003 | 02:09 PM
Muz
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by rusty97
This happened to me this last weekend. It actually released pretty hard I thought I backed up into something so I got out and looked around and realized it was the brakes. I don't like to drive around right after I wash because there's still detailing to do (like zaino 6) and I don't want to get dirt/dust on the car from driving around before putting it on. Any other suggestions?
You often only need to run it back and forth once or twice in your own driveway to remove most of the rust. No need to even go out on the road IMO.
Old 07-23-2003 | 02:45 PM

Just don't use the e-brake and everything will be fine. I never use mine anywhere unless I am parked on a up/down grade.

Quick Reply: Help: Brake Pads attached to Rotors