S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Help

Old 11-17-2001, 07:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help

I have noticed recently that when I accelerate into VTEC that at 6,500 RPMs my engine sputters and it feels like a misfire in that the car sort of lunges along and it continues to do so throughout the VTEC rev range as I accelerate up to the red line. When I back off of VTEC it is fine and this never happens below 6,500 RPMs.

Now what is particularly strange to me is that this doesn't happen all the time, maybe 1 out of 5 times when I enter VTEC. I have experimented by revving my car in neutral in my driveway and I get the same results, sometimes it is smooth through the entire rev range (past VTEC) to the red line and other times it sputters and gasps as the revs go through 6,500 to 9000 RPMs so I don't think it has anything to do with the car in motion and this points in my mind to a problem with the engine.

I am going to take my car back to the dealer next week to have him take a look. Has anyone here experienced this problem? Any ideas as to what is wrong?

Thanks,

aran
Old 11-17-2001, 12:59 PM

check your plugs and make sure they're torqued properly.

any other suggestions?
Old 11-17-2001, 01:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's not the plugs as Mingster suggested, then it could be fuel system. I've had fuel system problems on my S2000, but I think I'm about the only one!

-Brian.
Old 11-17-2001, 01:06 PM

map sensor??
Old 11-17-2001, 02:59 PM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by JBoggs
map sensor??
I second that --- and add 1 ?

It does sound like the problem very well may be the MAP.
Old 11-17-2001, 03:06 PM
Zot

Whoa this is wierd...today I had this exact same problem for the first time. It only did it a few times then stopped though. If it is the MAP what does that mean? I checked my plugs just about 2 weeks ago and I just filled up with gas.

The simptoms where exactly what you said though Aran. Hope it is nothing serious cuz I am going to AZ this week and do not have time to drop off the car at the dealer.
Old 11-17-2001, 03:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Do a search on the MAP sensor. It sounds like the same problem many of us have had. Don't let the dealer jerk you around and waste your time.. it is a five minute replacement. You can temporarily stop the problem by tapping on the sensor.. read the posts.
Old 11-17-2001, 05:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, weird!
I just had a similiar experience last night. Accelerated in 1st and at around 7k rpm, heard a loud grind/sputtering noise. Car slowed down like I was downshifting. Everything seems normal now, hasn't done it since.
Old 11-18-2001, 10:56 AM

THANKS .... THANKS ....

Well it looks like it was the MAP sensor. I unscrewed it and tapped it lightly a few times with my screwdriver and then retorqued the screws into place. I just came back in from an hour of driving with multiple VTECs in different gears and it pulled strong right through 6,500 RPMs with no sputtering or hesitating. I hope Honda is reading this board and will start to investigate their MAP sensors to get them right.

This board it great, thanks for the help!

aran
Old 11-18-2001, 01:41 PM
Zot

DAMN IT!!! It happened AGAIN this morning...This is really pissin me off now. It isn't a constant thing though. It only happens once in a while. I am going to try the remove tap replace thing you have done and hope that fixes it.

Quick Reply: Help