S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

help 04 markups

Old 12-04-2003, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ he's not in CA.

don't be silly, most of the time, dealer markups are just for desperate suckers. just go in, tell them the price you want to pay and if they don't meet it, leave. make sure they know you are serious. the berlina at Stevens Creek Honda is still there, it has a few handprints from being inside the showroom but I'm pretty sure it hasn't been driven.
Old 12-04-2003, 10:48 AM

emrillive,

Patience really pays! I spent the last month negotiating with almost every dealer near the the Bay Area penisula at least a couple of times... ended up making my purchase on the last day of November for $31,000. Of course I don't know whether I got shafted on my trade-in, but I think I got a pretty good deal overall nonetheless.

You'd be amazed at the deals some dealers are willing to work with at the end of the month. I got quoted $30,800 by one dealer, but I walked because they couldn't give me what I wanted for the trade-in. I got these quotes without even going through the fleet department!

Oh, I also didn't care too much about the color, and was willing to take whatever they had on the lot, so that might have helped. There are good deals out there, it just depends on your patience level and priorities.
Old 12-04-2003, 12:44 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by snowball
emrillive,

Patience really pays!
Old 12-04-2003, 12:45 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

got mine a couple of weeks ago, for about $1150 under sticker...they had a 4995 markup plus $119 for the wheel locks....serramonte in daly city, ask for big john, i have the silver/red/black he sold two weeks ago, he will remember me...bottom line, you gotta do some work to get a deal and it is worth it and how you feel about the deal is what matters in the end...i feel great, whether or not i got the absolute best price in the world.
Old 12-04-2003, 12:57 PM

SilverAP1,

I traded in a 2001 CL-S with 52K miles and four scratched rims , but otherwise in good condition and no accidents. They gave me approximately $16,200. Seemed like a decent deal.

The scratched rims were a big point of contention with some dealers... I'll be a lot more careful with the S's rims that's for sure!
Old 12-04-2003, 01:03 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by snowball
SilverAP1,

I traded in a 2001 CL-S with 52K miles and four scratched rims , but otherwise in good condition and no accidents.
Old 12-04-2003, 01:08 PM

You can find deal out there for less than sticker in the Bay Area. However, it seems that the initial supply of S2K's has dried up some, so it may be harder to find the color combo you want, at the price you want. But it can be done.

Also, don't be afraid to look out of state for the car you want. You may find that even with shipping it's a better deal than what the local guy is offering you. That's what I did. PM me if oyu want more details.

HiRev---I almost bought your car. I saw it the day it came off the truck at Serramonte! But I decided I really wanted the Silverstone. But I was really close to making an offer on the Sebring. It's a great looking machine.

S2KFI---And you wonder why people think poorly of car $tealerships and Car Saleman in general? Feeling good about paying too much for a car? Yeah, that happens all the time. While the S2000 isn't all that common, I doubt anyone would really believe it's Limited Production. Is there anyone on this board who if they really wanted an S2K couldn't find a dealer who had one? Ummm...No. Now a Porsche GT-2, GT-3, or maybe a 360 Modena, those are true "Limited Production cars" and really do require waiting 6 or 9 or 12 months to get one.
Old 12-04-2003, 01:12 PM
Muz
Former Sponsor

Dealers shouldn't be gouging buyers on these cars at all especially now we are in the fourth year of manufacturing. Some of the excuses presented for doing so are absolute rubbish. There is no good excuse. It's just greed. 4-6 K markup is insane but I guess as long as people are silly enough to pay it dealers will keep charging it. Dealers charging over MSRP should be boycotted IMO.
Old 12-04-2003, 02:07 PM

Limited production or not, the fact is, not alot of people are buying S2000's these days. They were the latest and greatest the first and second year they were out and dealers were making a killing off them because people just had to have one. It's not like that anymore. It's obvious that if some dealers are giving them away between $30,495-$31,500, they are not as popular as they used to be. Just like any other automobile, it can be sold under MSRP. The key word in MSRP is "suggested". There is no reason why a dealer has to make $5k+ profit on a car because they think it's got some sort of gold mine rarity. If Honda thought it was so rare and wanted the world to pay more for the S2000, the MSRP would reflect that.

Internet shopping is such a convenience. No haggling or playing games with a salesman trying to pull every lame trick in the book. The process of buying a car doesn't have to be that difficult.

Kris
Old 12-04-2003, 02:09 PM

Well, that didn't take long! I thought in an earlier post that I would be elated to even get MSRP. As it turns out you guys were right; by inquiring by email there is a dealer that I found that will do it for 31,075 (minus tax, lic, dest, etc)...

I cannot get it right now, so this is gonna be a long few months...and it ain't helping that I have pictures of the car plastered all over my office, LOL!