S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Hearing a clicking sound at take off.

Old 08-02-2001, 05:39 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Hearing a clicking sound at take off.

Its comming from the rear wheels. It seems like the diff is locking up on take off. Am I just noticing this more or is it a bad thing?! It happens 100% of the time usually below 10 mph when I step on the gas I hear click, click, click usually 3 sometimes 2 of them.
Old 08-02-2001, 06:04 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Pinky, With all the noises the S makes, may be we should just keep the stereo turned up and the top down. I put my top up the other day and the noises were driving me crazy until I turned up Led Zeppelin then every thing was ok. I am interested to find out what your click, click, click is.
Old 08-02-2001, 06:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

led zep....awesome.....

what song may i ask =)
Old 08-02-2001, 07:47 AM

Sounds like a diff or halfshaft problem

or a loose wheel weight
Old 08-02-2001, 08:17 AM

definately a diff or half shaft problem. I had it in the left rear wheel about a month or 2 ago. Took the car in and they gave me a total run around.

Ended up tightening the axle bolt. or whatever it is. I am getting it again now in the left side....Yikes. I think it is half shaft problems or the bearing mounting or diff....anyone have any other opinions??
Old 08-02-2001, 10:01 AM

Several peeps have been over this...

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...hlight=clicking

That's the latest one, I can't find the one I posted just now.

It seems as if there are two types. I get the sound from takeoff, but not turning, some peeps get it while turning. The dealer told me it was the brake pads shifting...bullshit. That is also Honda's official stance on it. Why not both sides then? Why only the right side? Why does it do it without using the brakes? Doesn't stand to reason...or maybe it does, I just can't reason it out. One of the members on my old thread said his dealer actually found what was causing it. It's some sort of cotter pin. This is a major pain, someone help!

Andrew
Old 08-02-2001, 10:08 AM

you are on the right track...they remove the cotter pin tighten the not that holds the axles on and then put the pin back in..i think that is just a temp fix though.....I had that done about a month or 2 ago and I'm now having the same issue on the right side, which I had them check when they didn the left, just for good measure!

Quite frustrating though....
Old 08-02-2001, 12:03 PM

Thanks Johev. The other member said he had it "lubed" and is now having the same problem as well. Design flaw? Dangerous?

Andrew
Old 08-02-2001, 12:04 PM

I remember hearing that. I'm taking mine in again tonight to have them take a look....
Old 08-02-2001, 01:57 PM

When you do that, please get a "down to the detail" description of what's happening. I think a lot of S2000 owners would love to have a printable explanation to give to the dealer, espically from another dealer's findings. Thanks man.

Andrew

Quick Reply: Hearing a clicking sound at take off.