S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Headlight questions??????

Old 12-23-2003, 05:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight questions??????

I have a cupple of ?????'s about s2000 headlights. My first question is how do u tell the difference between real JDM headlights and ones that have been cleared? How hard is it to put the ricks diffusers in yourself??? Is there any color difference between a my00 and a my02 HID bulb???? Is it possible to upgrade to a different color hid bulb? my last question is does anyone ever get messed with by the cops for their JDM headlights being to bright. I heard if u put JDM headlights on a USD model they point to the left and are to bright for the other drivers. Thanks a lot for helping with my questions.
Kenny
Old 12-23-2003, 01:12 PM

Anyone ???
Old 12-23-2003, 01:44 PM

I have the real JDM headlights and the left headlight is higher than the right(opposite of the US) so it'd illuminate the side of the road for the JDM folk. This causes it to get right in the eyes of traffic. The weird thing is that I have been flashed less than before I had the JDM's. Maybe people are getting used to it. Anyway, I have no idea how to tell the difference between Ricks and the JDM lights, you can't judge it by if the left light is higher because that can be adjusted to even it out or return it to stock levels, something I haven't done because it requires taking off the front bumper and I'm just too lazy.
Old 12-23-2003, 01:46 PM

I have never been hassled by the police, but I always have street legal amber bulbs in my parking and turn signal lights. The HID bulb as far as I know has not changed throughout the years but I am not sure. I'm sure you can upgrade an entire kit, ballasts and all to a higher Kelvin rating, but just the bulb I am not sure.
Old 12-23-2003, 02:26 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

My first question is how do u tell the difference between real JDM headlights and ones that have been cleared?
I can tell when they are mounted on the car, but I don't think many other owners could. When they are off the car, the turn signal holes are larger.
How hard is it to put the ricks diffusers in yourself???
It can't be that hard. More owners have installed them themselves than had us do it (20/1) would be my guess. Also there have been a few failed owner installs. Can you say "Over Cooked!"
Is there any color difference between a my00 and a my02 HID bulb????
Nope, the same bulbs in all model years.
Is it possible to upgrade to a different color hid bulb?
Why, the S2000 had the brightest one by far and they are OEM. No Judge could convict you on this point alone.
My last question is does anyone ever get messed with by the cops for their JDM headlights being to bright. I heard if u put JDM headlights on a USD model they point to the left and are to bright for the other drivers.
Some have been messed with having USDM OEM lights. Generally they are bright and on a bumpy road, you look like you are flashing your highbeams.
Old 12-23-2003, 02:38 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How can you tell te difference, the JDM headlight has a chrome projector, where as the USDM has a matte black finish.

Ricks diffusers are not hard to install, provided you have lots of patience and are careful at following instructions.

Bulbs are the same in all years, however color changes as the bulb gets older.

You can upgrade to a higher temperature HID, 6000K or even 8000K as opposed to the stock 5400K, but YOU WILL lose light and visibility......however it looks a bit nicer (6000K especially) NOT WORTH it in my opinion.

No way can a cop bother you about the lights, because they simply just cant tell.
Old 12-23-2003, 02:56 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally posted by NFRs2000NYC
How can you tell te difference, the JDM headlight has a chrome projector, where as the USDM has a matte black finish.
This is not true. The JDM and USDM had the same matte black finish for MY99-01 or 02. The JDM and EDM changed for MY02 or 03 to a chrome projectors. So at one point a set with JDM diffuser would look almost identical to a JDM set. There is a minor differance, but it would be hard to explain without pictures of what I was talking about. But there is a minor differance, very minor.
Old 12-23-2003, 03:10 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I stand corrected.
Old 12-23-2003, 03:41 PM

If i clear them myself only the front bumper has to come off right
Old 12-23-2003, 10:10 PM

Yo, I have changed my headlights and helped others who have done them. It's easy to do, yes, you have to take the bumper off. Best advice! when taking the bumper off, there are two metal pieces that can scratch your paint if your not careful. they are at the top of the bumper, maybe 8 inches from the center of the bumper. After you take them out, bake them and change difusers, reseal them with existing glue still remaining on headlight, and make sure to use silicone on anyparts that look like they have gaps where water can get through. You want the headlight to dry outside in a dry area. YOu don't want any moisture to get in them . I have heard that drying in your house is a bad idea cause humidity or something. When you take them outside you will see them fog up. Anyways, good luck. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Headlight questions??????