S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

headlight problem

Old 02-24-2004, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlight problem

I know this has been on the forum alot, but needed to ask again. I washed my car this past weekend and now I have water in my headlight. I emailed the local honda dealership and they told me that the entire headlamp needs to be replaced--and wanted $721 which included labor, taxes, etc. Too much money for a headlight. I know I've seen treads about taking the lamp out, but I'm worried about screwing something up and would prefer to not do something myself. Geez why can't they just take the headlight apart and fix the seals? Anyone have any suggestions or convince me that I can fix it myself. I really dont want to have ruin the lamp either, by rusting anything.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:45 AM

Oh btw, the car is out of warranty--its a MY00
Old 02-24-2004, 11:55 AM

How much water is in your headlight?

Is it just condensation in your headlight or is there enough water to fill a small aquarium?
Old 02-24-2004, 11:56 AM

Just condensation
Old 02-24-2004, 12:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do they already have clear diffusers in them?...if not then either clear them yourself (and do a better seal job) or send them to wingman
Old 02-24-2004, 12:10 PM

take out your light bulb and use a blow dryer to de-condensate the housing. It should work ok.
Old 02-24-2004, 01:05 PM

do the steps involved in clearing the headlight(you can find it in the search thing) and dry it out w/ a blow dryer as said above, and just reseal it with more silicone, that should take can of it forever pretty much, if not, just do the process again
Old 02-24-2004, 03:33 PM

I have read about this "clearing thing" but I dont understand why people do it. Does it alter the headlight? Sorry, I'm just confused as to what it does. Also, what are clear diffusers? Sorry about all the questions. Thanks for the info thus far.
Old 02-24-2004, 06:11 PM

clearing the headlights means you take the orange piece out of the light, and usually gets replaced by a clear diffuser( a clear piece of plastic, instead of the orange) and then the light get put back in, it doesnt affect anything, just looks, looks a lot better IMO, but im not telling you to clear your headlights, just follow the process and dont take out the orange, just open it and reseal it, to strengthen the seal, so condensation will no long occur, or it shouldnt
Old 02-24-2004, 07:11 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Look here for details on how to install/clear you headlights. http://www.ricks2k.com/info/install.php

Actually, you might just want to remove the headlights from the car. Dry them out with a blow dryer. Then heat them up on the oven (225) for 10-15 minutes. Then press them together tightly. You will see the black "goo" seal up with the clear part of the cover. Let them cool. Then reinstall them into the car, taking car to relube the gaskets of the bulb sockets as you do. Remember we have larger holes in our headlights thenj we think of. They just might have leaked there instead of the main seal.

Quick Reply: headlight problem