S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

header's effect on underhood temps

Old 06-02-2007, 06:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default header's effect on underhood temps

QUESTION: would having the BERK (or other) ceramic coated header reduce underhood temps more than keeping the stock heatshield on the stock header? because with almost every aftermarket header you take off that heatshield. so is ceramic coating reducing underhood temps to less than stock with heatshield, or just less than other aftermarket headers without the stock heatshield? if having a ceramic coated header would just reduce the temps so that they're comparable to stock, i wouldn't see much point in getting a header, for my purposes at least.

TIA for your feedback
Old 06-02-2007, 07:12 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ceramic coating or Jet-Hot will reduce more than an un-coated header, but not as much as the OEM heatsheild. Xviper did some testing on this a few years back (maybe when we get a decent search engine, I can find the thread). I believe he did as I did and fabricated a custom heatsheild for the aftermarket header (although I think he eventually took his off because it wasn't pretty).
Old 06-02-2007, 07:13 PM

so basically the stock header (with stock heatshield) will produce as much heat as an aftermarket header with ceramic coating? (but at the same time the ceramic coated aftermarket would result in faster exhaust flow through the pipes, right?)?

and i guess the stock heatshield won't fit on an aftermarket header?
Old 06-02-2007, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no.. hes saying the oem heatshield is more effective
Old 06-02-2007, 07:30 PM

so should i just say "screw it" to the aftermarket header since they don't give much gain anyway? i would be looking into one of the cheaper designs (RS*R, Megan, DC, BERK)
Old 06-02-2007, 07:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have the dc ceramic and although i don't know the temperature difference, it DEFINATELY cleans up the engine bay a little and it is definately letting a lot more air through the exhaust (i can literally hear more air comming out wether at idle or in gear) and i think my hks hi-power really benefitted from it. and as soon as my berk test pipe comes in (by the end of the week) i'll bolt up that bad boy and post any ear or butt-dyno results i come up with
Old 06-02-2007, 07:56 PM

cool, waiting to hear back!

and the reason i'm so curious about the effect on underhood temps is because my car is @#$%ing slow during the daytime now. i chalk it up to too much heat + FIPK =[

it's been frikkin HOT around here (Washington, D.C. area) lately so i guess that's why. when i take my car out at night it feels like a WHOLE LOT FASTER.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by marshman,Jun 2 2007, 07:45 PM
i have the dc ceramic and although i don't know the temperature difference, it DEFINATELY cleans up the engine bay a little and it is definately letting a lot more air through the exhaust (i can literally hear more air comming out wether at idle or in gear) and i think my hks hi-power really benefitted from it. and as soon as my berk test pipe comes in (by the end of the week) i'll bolt up that bad boy and post any ear or butt-dyno results i come up with
I have the same and combined with an invidia test pipe it is even better!
Old 06-02-2007, 10:56 PM

snorkle is the way to go to battle hot temps, with my berk header and no heat shield i didnt notice any heat soak but i have a snorkle, by the way my berk header is for sale
Old 06-03-2007, 12:09 AM

Im running the berks header along with the spoon snorkle and feel no heat bog what so ever. I used to have the k&n fipk and would noitce the heat bog on a hot day, especially taking off from a stop light. Thats why I sold it and switched to spoon

Quick Reply: header's effect on underhood temps