S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Header gains?

Old 11-05-2005, 06:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header gains?

Here's a newbie question, i searched but couldnt find an answer..

How is the DC sports header for our cars? do they have any gains?

How many HP can one expect to gain to get a header/testpipe on a stock s2k except for a CAI??

Is there a loss of power due to decreased backpressure?

thanks guys
Old 11-05-2005, 02:07 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

DC Sports no gain Only a few headers show a gain and they are big bucks J's racing is, I think the best at $1300. Ricks new header is also very good and has the ability to keep the factory heat shields and it's only around $600.00

A Header only gives you about 4 to 6 Hp. A test pipe will give about another 2/3Hp

Do dif gears (4.56) best bang for the buck
Old 11-05-2005, 02:30 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KPUDDYDAD,Nov 5 2005, 05:07 PM
DC Sports no gain Only a few headers show a gain and they are big bucks J's racing is, I think the best at $1300. Ricks new header is also very good and has the ability to keep the factory heat shields and it's only around $600.00

A Header only gives you about 4 to 6 Hp. A test pipe will give about another 2/3Hp

Do dif gears (4.56) best bang for the buck
That is waaayyy too much money for those modest gains, unless you have that type of cash at your disposal.

I agree, the money is better spent on gears.
Old 11-05-2005, 02:31 PM

NOS or forced induction is required for serious gains. N/A is an expensive less travel road
Old 11-05-2005, 02:36 PM

What exactly would different ratio gears do?

pardon my ignorance, i just want to learn as much as possible, and the search function doesnt work too well
Old 11-05-2005, 02:57 PM

There is a video that Wisconsins2k did showing the beating he gave an S with out gears. He put 3 car lengths on him. If I messed up Wisconsins screen I am sorry
Old 11-05-2005, 03:12 PM

From the sounds of things.. the S stock breathing system is heavy but non-restrictive. I would assume that the only need for upgrading the header/exhaust system is if you plan on going forced induction or need the weight savings.

Interesting info
Old 11-05-2005, 03:25 PM

thanks guys.. i will give S2KPUDDYDAD a call tommorow and he can explain it, lol
Old 11-06-2005, 02:41 AM

I have read a lot, and have had a few different mods on the car. Most members here that have been on the forum two years or so have done all the trial and era for you just read as much as you can before you do any mod. Someone here has most likely done it and will have something to say about it.
Sometimes a mod is done to the car that is something that is a personal choice. If you want a header thats cool. I found it to be very loud up front of the car, more interior noise. It did look sweet and it did save weight
Old 11-06-2005, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by darkfx,Nov 5 2005, 03:36 PM
What exactly would different ratio gears do?

pardon my ignorance, i just want to learn as much as possible, and the search function doesnt work too well
Do you understand the concept of gear ratios and all that? If not..

www.howstuffworks.com
^in the search thing, type gear ratios and it should give you an article on it

But anyways....

Ever wondered why first gear acceperates so much harder than like 4th gear? It's because gear ratios are key in torque multiplication. Engine spinning 3 times to spin the wheel once is a bigger multiplication than say spinning 1 time to spin the wheels once. When changing the final drive, you basically use a gear ratio that adds even more torque multiplication, which results in a faster acceleration. However, that comes at a sacrifice of some "driveability", depending who you are. Since the gear ratio is now even more aggressive, you'll have to be using higher than normal RPMs at each mph. So when you're cruising on the highway..your rpms might be a bit high

Quick Reply: Header gains?