S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Have a ?, & wonderin if I messed up my clutch

Old 07-29-2005, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have a ?, & wonderin if I messed up my clutch

Ok, so I'll start off saying I know I'm stupid. I'm not an experienced driver especially when it comes to drag racing or stop light racing. And I know street racing is dangerous and all that stuff. But, every once in awhile I'm sure a lot of us do it anyways. That doesn't justify it or anything, but if we ALWAYS did what we were told, I'm sure the world wouldn't be nearly as fun.

---

So anyways, I'm trying to race this WRX. I had already raced him from a roll and beat him, and now I was trying to launch the car. I rev the car to 4500rpms (a modest launch in my opinion). When the light turns green, I let off the clutch completely, no feathering or anything and floor the car at the same time. I tires lose a bit of traction and I start moving ... The car redlines early as if I'm not getting 100% traction so I let off the gas and try to shift into 2nd. I gun it and the car acts like its in neutral. At this point I'm not worried about racing and I'm trying to figure out whats wrong ... so I shift into 3rd, and give it gas, same results. 4th, 5th, 6th - same results. Let off the gas completely and clutch in, then let the clutch back out and I'm moving again in 6th gear.

I smelled burning clutch (presumably) for the next 10 minutes or so, and the shifter didn't feel too smooth for awhile, but after that everything felt normal. The clutch has no problems engaging and the car behaves normally ... The only thing I noticed is that on a 1 -> 2 WOT shift that the car chirps the tires everytime and pulls to one side a bit. I figured that was maybe from overheating the tires when I lost traction..

So, my first question - Why did the car do that? Did I overheat the clutch and prevent it from catching, hence the burning smell and the 10 minutes or so with the car feeling funny?

Second question - I know I probably shortened the life span of the clutch but any immediate damage (like stuff is broken) to the car? Anything I should check out? Like I said the car drives fine right now, clutch has no problems catching... even if I start it in 2nd or try to WOT at a low rpm (just tests that I was told would help to see if the clutch was having problems catching).

Third question - When I'm launching in the future (like at a drag strip) - What did I do wrong? Do I need to feather the gas more before I gain traction and then floor it? I know there's no 1 good rpm to launch at ... I'm just trying to figure out what I need to do to prevent this in the future if I'm launching (I know the easy answer is not to launch).

Again, I need to re-iterate, I know what I did was stupid and I'm not looking for people to give me lectures on street racing or about being a dumbass for not knowing how to drive my car. I know all of this already, and I'm fully aware that some people aren't going to agree with what I'm doing. I would just like some answers on my questions ... only way I'm gonna learn. Thanks
Old 07-29-2005, 01:52 PM

um does your car have the slave mod done? or is the delay still there?
Old 07-29-2005, 02:29 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

Moving to S2000 talk
Old 07-29-2005, 02:40 PM

Sorry to hear that, man, remember I saw you rollin w top down just not to long ago...

My guess is that the delay valve is the one that causes it, I heard lots of people fried their clutch this way.

Hope you car is back to tip-top shape again, bud. Remove the darn valve and go hunt for that WRX!
Old 07-29-2005, 02:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem: clutch delay. All AP2s were built with a clutch delay in the slave cylinder which makes the cluth slip at high RPM gear changes to avoid any potential damage that might occur to the differential. Solution: remove it. Do a search for clutch delay slave cylinder mod and you should be able to find it. Your clutch won't slip and your gear changes will feel more direct after this mod. On a side note....try not to dump your clutch like you did - you might need to feather it a tad.

Good luck
Old 07-29-2005, 03:12 PM

Acutally, from what I understand, the best way to launch is around 6k or so and totally dump the clutch (without the delay valve of course). This should give you some wheel spin and prevent drivetrain shock and premature clutch wear. After you dump the clutch, let the tires break free and bit and then feather the throttle to get traction.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Acutally, from what I understand, the best way to launch is around 6k or so and totally dump the clutch (without the delay valve of course). This should give you some wheel spin and prevent drivetrain shock and premature clutch wear. After you dump the clutch, let the tires break free and bit and then feather the throttle to get traction.
I stand corrected! Listen to Brent - he probably knows more than me But like he said, I would look into getting rid of the delay valve.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:28 PM

I'm no expert, but I have followed more than a couple threads on here about launching. Wisconsin S2k seems to know a LOT about the subject. PM him if you are still unsure on what to do or want another description and opinion of launching techniques.

Personally, I'm too paranoid to launch the car. Maybe eventually...but not now.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:53 PM

jeez...what's up with everyone bashing on the clutch delay....Honda put this in for a reason! Feel free to remove it, but realize that replacing a fried clutch is much cheaper than replacing something else further down the drivetrain.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You glazed your clutch momentarily...

From a dig if this happens you have to immediately get off the throttle. Sounds like you pumped the clutch and tried to find another gear and got the same result.

You cannot feather a launch....especially in the 04... You have to side step it all together..

If you remove the delay it will give a much more positive feel to your clutch and you will not float around in never never land for those split seconds...

If this is the first time you've done that....you should be fine....

Quick Reply: Have a ?, & wonderin if I messed up my clutch