S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

'Haunted'?

Old 10-06-2005, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 'Haunted'?

The S turns 4 this month, and recently it started locking the doors after I leave it unlocked w/ the key out of the ignition (in or out of the car). Lock me out once, and 'saw' it lock itself today w/o activating fob or anything. Left it unlocked later, and it did not lock itself again (?). Faulty transmitter or what?
Old 10-06-2005, 06:40 PM

I just got my car and it seems to lock itself from time to time but other times it doesn't. Haven't paid too much attention to why though.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you press the "unlock" button on the key (whether or not the car was already unlocked) and then you don't open the door within about 30 seconds, the car will lock.

As for the original question, I would try replacing the battery in the key fob. Then I would try replacing the key fob. Then I would try replacing the receiver unit in the car. Then I would give up.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:54 PM

Intresting about not opening then locking...will try that next time and see. could have inadvertently hit the button I suppose...Iguess it's time to check out the fob as well. Car came w/ 2, (only driver) I'll switch and see if the gremlins are still there.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:59 PM

If I lock, then unlock without opening the door....it'll autolock in a few seconds. Never tried just hitting the unlock button without locking first.

Mark
Old 10-06-2005, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Oct 6 2005, 04:43 PM
As for the original question, I would try replacing the battery in the key fob. Then I would try replacing the key fob. Then I would try replacing the receiver unit in the car. Then I would give up.
One other thing, make sure the car "knows" you opened the door. This should turn off the auto-relock timer. If the door pin switch is faulty, this might be the culprit.

BTW, in case anyone is wondering, the re-lock timer is 20 secnds
Old 10-06-2005, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mark16q,Oct 6 2005, 08:59 PM
If I lock, then unlock without opening the door....it'll autolock in a few seconds. Never tried just hitting the unlock button without locking first.

Mark
I discovered this by accident. I thought I had locked the car when I got out of it. I came back out later and pushed the unlock button and the lights flashed but nothing else happened because the doors were already unlocked. The mail man happened by about that time so I didn't open the door right away. After retrieving the mail and putting it inside, I came back out to a locked car.

So I tested it again. I locked the car with the remote, then unlocked it and opened the drivers door. I then closed the drivers door and pushed the "unlock" button on the remote but "did not" open the door. Sure enough, 30 seconds later, the doors locked. Don't know why Honda programmed it that way but as long as I know that's what'll happen, it's no big deal.

Drive Safe,
Steve R.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it's so that if you accidentally hit the "unlock" button when you meant to hit the "lock" button, see the lights flash, and walk away, then your car doesn't sit there unlocked all day long.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:40 AM

Where in the world are you parking your car at night man?!??! If it's a bad enough area to make the S lock it's own doors, you may wanna think about parking elsewhere.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:48 AM

Careful. I unlocked the car w/ the key-fob and opened the passenger door to load groceries. My hands were full, so I opened the door, threw my phone & keys onto the seat, and then threw a bunch of bags on the seat. I remember hearing the "clunk" sound of the auto-lock as I was shoving the door shut. Doh!

Anyhow, the passenger door doesn't register either. It will lock you out even when the door is wide open.

But hey! Just another reason to keep that top down, huh?

Quick Reply: 'Haunted'?