S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Has your $$$ aftermarket alarm ever been defeated?

Old 04-01-2008, 10:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Has your $$$ aftermarket alarm ever been defeated?

I'd like to hear specifically from people who had their car burglarized or stolen even though it had a sophisticated alarm (with paging, proximity or whatnot).

I tried some searches but am not finding what I am looking for. I'm trying to decide whether to buy an good ($$) aftermarket alarm or just rely on insurance.

Tellingly, my insurance company offers no discount for alarms (while they *do* have discounts for theft-recovery tracking devices like LoJack and window etching). This leads me to believe that their actuaries don't believe alarms to be effective. And if they don't, why should I?

Old 04-01-2008, 10:53 AM

Autopage has a GPS auto tracking alarm "C3" out.

Honda Tuning Magazine is going to do a editorial feature on security soon.

Tan
Old 04-01-2008, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The pro's will get it if they want it. It doesn't matter if you have 2 alarm systems, 5 kill switches, removable steering wheel and you take your battery with you. They will get it. No way around it.

But, don't give up. Just be sure to get a quality alarm set up and be smart when parking, driving, etc. An alarmed garage and multiple motion sensored flood lights is the best defense, IMO.

Here is a good site for tips and such. http://causeforalarm.thecarthing.com/
Old 04-01-2008, 02:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul S,Apr 1 2008, 02:08 PM
The pro's will get it if they want it. It doesn't matter if you have 2 alarm systems, 5 kill switches, removable steering wheel and you take your battery with you. They will get it. No way around it.

But, don't give up. Just be sure to get a quality alarm set up and be smart when parking, driving, etc. An alarmed garage and multiple motion sensored flood lights is the best defense, IMO.

Here is a good site for tips and such. http://causeforalarm.thecarthing.com/
this makes no sense. if you have variable kill switches, there is no way they will sit there and try to make it work.

I had a professor who use to have a GTO (old school original) and had 3 kill switches up from in plain view and they would have all different arrangements, so 2 will be off and 1 will be on, but he'll vary which one is on and which is off. On top of that, he had another one installed bottom of the dash (hidden) that was also variable in on or off.

he still has his car. you know the alarm system obviously don't work these days. it's more annoying than anything. I think the best way is to have few kill-switches that works rather than annoying alarms.

I'm pretty sure they wont be able to drive away with your car, but they usually tow it anyways. unless they know the secret way of starting the s2000 without the key that nobody seem to share here.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:32 PM

Its a good idea to invest in a good alarm and moreso an excellent installation.

At the end of the day, if somebody really wants it, they'll tow it.

Alarms are only a preventive measure.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by plokivos,Apr 1 2008, 03:20 PM
this makes no sense. if you have variable kill switches, there is no way they will sit there and try to make it work.

I had a professor who use to have a GTO (old school original) and had 3 kill switches up from in plain view and they would have all different arrangements, so 2 will be off and 1 will be on, but he'll vary which one is on and which is off. On top of that, he had another one installed bottom of the dash (hidden) that was also variable in on or off.

he still has his car. you know the alarm system obviously don't work these days. it's more annoying than anything. I think the best way is to have few kill-switches that works rather than annoying alarms.

I'm pretty sure they wont be able to drive away with your car, but they usually tow it anyways. unless they know the secret way of starting the s2000 without the key that nobody seem to share here.
What don't you get? You said it yourself--if they can't drive it away, they will tow it. IF THEY WANT IT, THEY WILL GET IT. Period. Trust me, take a look at the Integra Type R forum and you will see the lengths that we go through to protect our cars with various alarm systems and kill switches, but it doesn't matter. They will start it, steal it, tow it, whatever. The GTO's theft rate doesn't even come remotely close to that of Honda's (especially Integra Type R's).
Old 04-01-2008, 02:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^Yep, an expensive car being towed on a dolly with the alarm wailing could be a trespass tow or a theft, who's to know?
Old 04-01-2008, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Paul S,Apr 1 2008, 02:52 PM
What don't you get? You said it yourself--if they can't drive it away, they will tow it. IF THEY WANT IT, THEY WILL GET IT. Period. Trust me, take a look at the Integra Type R forum and you will see the lengths that we go through to protect our cars with various alarm systems and kill switches, but it doesn't matter. They will start it, steal it, tow it, whatever. The GTO's theft rate doesn't even come remotely close to that of Honda's (especially Integra Type R's).
+1.

I have witnessed first hand how easy it is to tow a car. The whole process took about 1 minute literally - possibly less, and off they went.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:36 AM

They tried stealing my seats but didn't get past the motion sensor of my alarm. Got a slashed top but I'll take that anyday over a stripped interior. I have a Clifford that was installed perfectly. It'll go off if you look at it the wrong way but it never gives any false alarms.

Yes, the pros will get your car if you want. But 90% of thieves aren't pros. Put a good alarm on, installed right, and you just deterred 90% of thieves out there. Sounds like a good investment to me. It might be different with certain cars like the Type R where everyone is out to get them, but our S2000's aren't that popular with thieves looking for steal the whole thing. Our main problem is seat theft.

Here in So. Florida, the S2K seat theft capital of the world, the ratio of stolen seats between unprotected and alarmed S2k's is something around 30 to 1 (yes, I'm loosely keeping count). It pisses me off when people use that lame "they'll get it if you want excuse". Some guys here have had their seats stolen three times (one of them even made it to the local news) and still refuse to get an alarm. The fastest theft title is held by a guy who lives a few blocks from me: his seats where stolen the same night he brought his new S2000 from the dealer. OTOH, my S2k has spent the last 4 years of its life sleeping outside. It's mint red seats are still there
Old 04-02-2008, 08:36 AM

[QUOTE=X4DLuvOfSpeedX,Apr 2 2008, 04:36 AM]They tried stealing my seats but didn't get past the motion sensor of my alarm.

Quick Reply: Has your $$$ aftermarket alarm ever been defeated?