S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

has anyone else realized this?

Old 04-10-2003, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default has anyone else realized this?

I hate to admit that I don't enjoy my car as much as I thought I would. I still like the car but it really isn't a great daily driver and I'd probably be better off with a different car. I haven't had the car for too long and I'm hoping spring renews my enthusiasm for the car but I'm not too sure...
Old 04-10-2003, 07:30 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cold weather and slow bumpy city/suburb driving = less enjoyment. I enjoyed the car less in Indiana than in California.
Old 04-10-2003, 08:28 PM

Received 789 Likes on 477 Posts

Sorry, I disagree. If you're looking for practicality, you should have done more research before you bought the wrong car.
I enjoy it every day I drive it or look at it for that matter. Even when I drove it in 8" of snow and had to be pushed down the block by 4 people... I thought to myself, hey now this isn't something you see everyday, but even the strangers pushing the car were saying "NICE CAR!!" and telling each other "Be careful not to scratch anything!" Winter or summer I love it.
Old 04-10-2003, 08:30 PM

Might I suggest using your other car in 8 inches of snow???
Old 04-10-2003, 08:48 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm afraid I haven't awakened to the same realization as you fellas. I enjoy this car every day of the year, through all 4 seasons. Each season brings its own unique fun.
My first season with this car was winter. I revel in the thrill of drifting around snow and ice covered corners. I marvel at just how tractable this car is when I drag race SUV's across a frozen intersection. It amazes me that even when the temp reaches a bone chilling -28*C, IT STARTS! Not only that but before I reach my destination, the heater actually has to be turned DOWN!
Spring comes and the hardtop gets doffed. It's like driving a totally different car. The crisp air blows through the cabin in those early days of top down driving. The sensuousness of the new sounds stimulates to remind me of the season's newness. And so what if it rains? The soft top has never failed me. And the operation of it at stop lights never ceases to garner the attention of onlookers.
Summer's heat brings the tanning sun down upon me. When it gets too hot, the A/C works its magic to keep me comfortable. It's simply cool to be HOT with the top down.
And those fine autumn days brings yet another different olfactory sensation. Fall tends to have its own distinct "scent". To be able to view the changing colors of the leaves unimpeded by windows or a roof is pure joy. Then there is the anticipation of the time when the hardtop goes back on - to drive that "other" car once again.
Every time I see that tach reach up to 9000 rpm, it's a song I never tire of. The look and the appeal of the car is still not dated. I don't just get in the car. I put it on.
It gets me to and from work without fail. It takes me on trips to nowhere in particular, just for the heck of it. My friends envy me for having the "guts" at my age to drive such a purely "whimsical" car. It takes me on vacation as far as I want to go. And when I need it to, it will also carry my garbage and used oil to the dump AND bring me back in style. I can also bring lumber home from Home Depot and the looks I get with all those 2X4's sticking out the passenger seat is almost worth the price of admission.
If you have lost some enjoyment of this car, that is most regrettable for you. Although another car may be better "suited" to your needs, I doubt that you will be better off.
Old 04-10-2003, 09:00 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by adb280z
[B]I hate to admit that I don't enjoy my car as much as I thought I would.
Old 04-10-2003, 09:02 PM

Originally posted by xviper
I can also bring lumber home from Home Depot and the looks I get with all those 2X4's sticking out the passenger seat is almost worth the price of admission.

and I thought I was the only one stupid enough to do that
Old 04-10-2003, 09:15 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

My car is a daily driver, I live in the city. I have to walk about a mile to the lot where my car is parked. Every morning all I think about on my walk is getting to my car and uncovering her. I smile as I step back for a brief second and admire her. The start button after two years is still a unique experience for me and not mundane. 4-5 minutes later VTECing starts!!!!!

I respect people who feel that they arent made for the car...but the car is perfect for me!!
Old 04-10-2003, 09:23 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by adb280z
[B]I hate to admit that I don't enjoy my car as much as I thought I would.
Old 04-10-2003, 09:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This car is really like a mistress. If you have a cushy daily driver like an Accord, you'll appreciate the S when you get back into it. Also vice versa, you appreciate the Accord when you just want a turn off your brain and drive in comfort when you don't want to have a stimulating drive.

The S has a saving grace where you can drive it like a Civic for daily commuting and like a race car when you have the energy and focus to.

Quick Reply: has anyone else realized this?