S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Has anyone disabled the e-brake roof switch?

Old 05-14-2002, 05:51 PM
OD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone disabled the e-brake roof switch?

I'm usually pretty safety-conscious but I don't really see the need for the e-brake to be up in order to operate the roof.

I mean, what's the likelihood that I accidentally unlatch both hooks and hit the roof down button while at highway speeds?
Nil.

Now, I suppose you could accidentally put the roof up if you were performing extra curricular activities or something but you probably wouldn't be doing that with the roof down to begin with

I just think it would be nice to be able to lower (or raise) the roof at toll booth speeds without coming to a full stop, pulling the e-brake, operating the latches and roof, and releasing the brake. It's too much for me to do before the guy behind me, who's already pissed off bcz his roof doesn't go down, starts honking.

OD.
Old 05-14-2002, 06:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'd have to also fool the convertible top control module into thinking the car isn't moving as well. Connection B6 is the "VSS signal driving circuit". Don't know if it could be pulled off without screwing up other stuff.
Old 05-15-2002, 04:12 AM
OD

How 'bout if you just closed the switch at the e-brake? You're saying there's another restriction that the vehicle not be moving?? That sounds like overkill.

OD.
Old 05-15-2002, 07:10 AM

I remember seeing something like this for the Boxster, you may want to check out the boxster sites and see if you can find the guy who makes these little disablers.
Old 05-15-2002, 07:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i lowered the top going from a standstill to moving with the e-brakes barely engaged. to about 10 MPH. You just have to make sure you start off not moving...
Old 05-15-2002, 07:30 AM

I didn't know the convertible top switch doesn't work if the car is moving. But to override the emergency brake hurdle is easy. Just pull the handbrake up slightly, say to the first notch and the handbrake lights up on the dash although it isn't REALLY engaged because it's too low. And you know it isn't engaged because if you do this on a incline the car will roll down. And with the handbrake light on, the convertible switch should activate the top.
Old 05-15-2002, 08:50 AM

Hey Mister-Two - I have already tried that technique to no luck...

no big deal.... I think the safety switch is set appropriately, in my opinion, b/c there are people out there that would try lowering the top at stupid speeds... Yes, even some S2000 owners can be really stupid...
Old 05-15-2002, 08:56 AM

Modifry has turned the top switch in to a multi function control. He might be able to help you destroy er, I mean raise/lower your top without the E-brake.

Before you make the change, remember you may eventually carry a nosey passenger that will flip the switch and say, "what's this for?"
Old 05-15-2002, 09:15 AM
OD

A nosey passenger might start to raise the roof by accident but you can't lower it with the latches done (don't ask me how I know this).

I have to yank the e-brake up pretty good to engage the switch. Plus it's still a lot of fussing to do while you're looking for toll booth tokens or your EZ pass.

OD.
Old 05-15-2002, 09:29 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Here we go!
Date: sometime next month.
Place: some Honda service dept.

Owner: I need a warranty claim for my missing soft top.
Service Writer (SW): Why? What happened?
Owner: Well, it's like this. I disabled all the safeguards on my soft top activation switch. When I was going "only" 5-10 mph (into a 50 mph headwind), I unlatched my top and tried to put it down. The wind caught it and ripped that sucker right off. It's Honda's fault for not warning me to NOT do this (you know, just like you didn't put a warning into the owner's manual for NOT downshifting from 5th into 2nd at 100 mph). It's all YOUR fault. I want you to replace the top AND repair the damage done when the top flapped around and gouged out my trunk lid on it's way to smashing the car behind me. He's suing me now so you're going to pay restitution to him as well.
SW: (Unable to speak as he has already collapsed onto the floor from laughing at your dumbass!) After about 10 minutes of this very rude, uncontrollable gaffawing, he straightens up his tie and wipes all the sweat that's dripping down his face, he says, "Can you please wait here a moment while I go and contact the regional district manager? He's gonna love th ................. errr, want to give this his full consideration." (Turns and walks away trying his damndest to choke down the next chortle.)

Quick Reply: Has anyone disabled the e-brake roof switch?