S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Hardtops and insurance

Old 02-06-2012, 04:09 PM

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Hardtops and insurance

Does anyone insure their hardtop? I have a non-OEM top on mine and kinda want to insure it because it's the most expensive mod I have. I haven't told my current insurance provider that I have it yet, but I've started getting other quotes because I think I pay too much in general for the car. When I brought up the hardtop today with one provider, I was told that they only cover aftermarket parts in very few instances and wouldn't cover mine because I installed it myself. Said they'd only cover it if it was installed and certified by a dealer because they're afraid of it flying off on the freeway and killing someone, lol.

Should I just leave it be and be prepared to take the loss if the car is wrecked, just like other mods? Anyone have any experience with this?
Old 02-06-2012, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you shop around enough there are certainly insurance providers that will cover your hardtop. That being said, there is a good chance the hardtop will not be damaged in a wreck anyway unless you are in a rollover or t-boned by a high vehicle.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:35 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Progressive allows you up to $5,000 but I hear it's only in electronics... pfft.. wtf? My car has to be a DUB show edition to get insured on aftermarket goods?

I would say keep your reciept for it. If something happens and you have full coverage it will just add value to the car percentage wise. Anything you do to a car though eventually you lose money on the longrun anyways. OEM or not.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Thateguhate
Progressive allows you up to $5,000 but I hear it's only in electronics... pfft.. wtf? My car has to be a DUB show edition to get insured on aftermarket goods?

I would say keep your reciept for it. If something happens and you have full coverage it will just add value to the car percentage wise. Anything you do to a car though eventually you lose money on the longrun anyways. OEM or not.
I have Progressive, and I called them right after I purchased my hard top last April, and it was installed by HTG. It is OEM though. They added the coverage under additional custom parts/equipment, with full coverage in case of theft, vandalism, if it flies off, or gets damaged in an accident. If I had purchased the hard top when I bought the car new it would be covered without any additional insurance needed.

Edit for more info: With Progressive, the coverage is still based on your deductible for comp or collision, so you still have to pay that if something happens. The first $1000 of custom parts/equipment is automatically covered (save receipts), but you would then have to add additional coverage under custom parts/equipment in order for your claim to be fully covered.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:29 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I feel like if the top gets damaged in a crash that there are much bigger issues than if the top is covered. For the top to gt damaged chances are you would be in pretty rough shape and not be worried about the top.

I haven't insured any mods. I called once asking about my wheels. They wanted to raise the premium by 500 every 6 months to insure $1500 wheels!
Old 02-07-2012, 08:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have a crash, with the other driver at fault, it shouldn't matter. His insurance will pay the damages. If your at fault, your insurance may deny a claim that involves your top. At minimum, you have a 50-50 chance of being reimbursed. Until I know better, I think this is the way it would work.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Thateguhate

My Honda hard top has a window defroster. Doesn't that make it an "electronic"? The entire item is really a window defroster with a HUGE heat sink.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by TVPincDoc
My Honda hard top has a window defroster. Doesn't that make it an "electronic"? The entire item is really a window defroster with a HUGE heat sink.
Yeah, exactly, a metal-to-air, wind cooled heat sink. Far safer and more effective than a cloth heat sink
Old 02-11-2012, 09:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Geico also has a field online where you can add your mods and their value to the insurance.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:56 AM

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks for the responses guys.

Quick Reply: Hardtops and insurance