S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Hardtop Security Question

Old 10-03-2007, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hardtop Security Question

I'll be getting a S2000 in the near future and was thinking about the hardtop for security purposes. I live in a condo complex with unsecured parking structure and basically anyone can have access to the car. With slashed softtops and stolen seats being a common problem I want the hardtop to prevent these kinds of situations until I move to a place with secured parking lot or garage(I must be crazy to be willing to move for this car huh??). However, from checking the hardtop posts in here it seems like its very easy to remove the hardtop. Once the thieves disable the alarm then they can simply remove the top and etc... Is there any locking mechanism for securing the hardtop from being stolen or aftermarket locks?

Will getting the hardtop help in deterring thieves from breaking in or will this hardtop become additional liability that I need to worry about?

Anyone got their hardtop stolen??

Thanks in advance
Old 10-03-2007, 08:37 AM

Im sure the hardtop will stop petty thefts due from just slashing the soft-top and getting into the car that way. Ive always heard the the hardtop is a good measure of safety to prevent break ins. But just remember, if someone wants something in your car bad enough, theyll get it.

-Matt
Old 10-03-2007, 08:55 AM

Two cars in the past two weeks have been stolen around my area both with hardtops. I wonder if we can bolt the hardtop down like the miata guys are doing, and include locks for that. That will probably prevent them from stripping the hardtop once they steal it.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is no aftermarket product that I know of that would prevent an HT theft.
A little consolation comes from the pure bulk which limits the average thief from deciding on the spur of the moment to take the top.
Aside from pulling another S along side and placing the top on his car or maybe a pick-up truck, it's really not practical for a thief to think he can just walk away with his new found booty.
You might be able to design a bar that fits between the rear two clamps and has a provision for a padlock but other than that, I can't think of an easy way to secure.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:05 AM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by mattfeet,Oct 3 2007, 12:37 PM
Im sure the hardtop will stop petty thefts due from just slashing the soft-top and getting into the car that way. Ive always heard the the hardtop is a good measure of safety to prevent break ins. But just remember, if someone wants something in your car bad enough, theyll get it.

-Matt
Old 10-03-2007, 11:20 AM

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

If you're worried about getting your hardtop stolen, get your VIN etched into the rear window.

And if you get a battery backup alarm like I have, they can't just disable the alarm. The alarm won't even shut off if you disconnect it. You either need the special alarm key to turn it off or you need to remove the unit and destroy it.

You can also connect the wiring harness for the hardtop defroster to a car alarm system. If the wiring harness gets disconnected, the alarm could go off.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:06 PM

The only way to insure it never gets stolen would be to get one piece custom brackets made to fit where the latches are in the front and on the sides, and weld them into the car and hard top (making it so the roof would never come off without breaking the welds). A less permanent, but more secure way would be to secure the brackets with 10mm bolts which would make it harder to remove, but still removable if you wanted to take it off from time to time.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:07 PM

Received 241 Likes on 180 Posts

Also, a hardtop is really a pretty minimal theft deterrent.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:30 AM

Thanks guys for all the good info

And if you get a battery backup alarm like I have, they can't just disable the alarm. The alarm won't even shut off if you disconnect it. You either need the special alarm key to turn it off or you need to remove the unit and destroy it.
Hey Slalom44, are you refering to the alarm systems such as the Clifford G5 which has self-powered siren or just an additonal battery backup siren that connects to the existing alarm system?
Old 10-05-2007, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by skyrix,Oct 5 2007, 02:30 PM
Thanks guys for all the good info

Hey Slalom44, are you refering to the alarm systems such as the Clifford G5 which has self-powered siren or just an additonal battery backup siren that connects to the existing alarm system?
Either way is fine. You could either have a siren with backup battery, or a backup battery for the entire alarm system. Just make sure you hide them in weird places. Imo, backup battery and/or siren is a must. It just creates that small extra hassle to ask the not-so-desperate thief to move on to the next car.

Good luck!