S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Hardtop Questions

Old 07-25-2005, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hardtop Questions

I'm thinking about finally getting the hardtop after 2 years. This past weekend I took the S on a 500 mile drive to my friend's lake house and my head felt like it was going to explode. Its not my exhaust (Spugen ovals), but the wind noise is just unbearable for that period of time. I tried the quarter inch tubing on the hooks, but the wind noise is still too loud.

Does the hardtop really make a HUGE difference? Does anyone regret buying a hardtop? Opinions and reviews would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:55 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 850glt,Jul 25 2005, 04:37 PM
I tried the quarter inch tubing on the hooks, but the wind noise is still too loud.
Do you have the heavy duty windshield strikers?

I've never regretted getting the hardtop. I never really wanted a convertible in the first place, just wanted the S2000. The hardtop transforms the car into a whole different looking animal. Mine is on 1/2 the year. I love how I drive two different cars.

Yes, it will stop a lot of the wind and road noise.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:58 PM

Mine was on 98% of the time, easy. Makes a huge difference in looks, sound, the whole deal.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:31 PM

Most of the wind noise is gone and the engine is slightly more noticeable without the wind noise. I put it on during the cold and hot months. It does totally transform the car. Mine is the OEM top. No regrets.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:43 PM

how about this.......

we meet up go for a ride in my car so you can hear what its like w/ the HT then we go for a ride in your car so i can hear the Spugen

-SaL
Old 07-26-2005, 02:20 AM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

The hardtop is great for the long drives, cold weather, or just giving the car a second look. Mine was ordered the day I bought my car, and I have never regretted it.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:35 AM

I learned this simple trick driving my MG and Austin-Healey in heavy crosswinds on long trips: Use the little foam earplugs, about 25 cents a pair, used for safety in noisy industrial situations. Works wonders without being dangerous, you are still aware of nearby traffic, your own engine noise, listen to the radio, can even talk without shouting but still dampens the annoying wind noise.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:37 AM
vbb

Originally Posted by xviper,Jul 25 2005, 06:55 PM
Do you have the heavy duty windshield strikers?

I've never regretted getting the hardtop. I never really wanted a convertible in the first place, just wanted the S2000. The hardtop transforms the car into a whole different looking animal. Mine is on 1/2 the year. I love how I drive two different cars.

Yes, it will stop a lot of the wind and road noise.
I hope you don't mind my piggybacking off of the original question, but I have a couple questions too and didn't want to start a new thread clogging up the forum.

Like you xviper, I never really wanted a convertible as much as I just wanted the S2000. Don't get me wrong, I love the drop top now that I have it though, and would be interested in switching between the hardtop and drop top from time to time.

1. How difficult is it to switch back and forth? Is this something that can be done in say 20 minutes, or does it take longer than that?

2. Where is a good place to order one, and about how long does shipping take? Seems as if nobody has it in stock.

I'd probably keep the soft top on during the late summer into the late fall b/c the weather is generally dry here during that time, and the outside temps are perfect for the drop top. I'd put the hardtop on from early winter to mid summer.

Thanks for your help!
Old 09-19-2005, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by vbeachboy,Sep 19 2005, 09:37 AM
I hope you don't mind my piggybacking off of the original question, but I have a couple questions too and didn't want to start a new thread clogging up the forum.

Like you xviper, I never really wanted a convertible as much as I just wanted the S2000. Don't get me wrong, I love the drop top now that I have it though, and would be interested in switching between the hardtop and drop top from time to time.

1. How difficult is it to switch back and forth? Is this something that can be done in say 20 minutes, or does it take longer than that?

2. Where is a good place to order one, and about how long does shipping take? Seems as if nobody has it in stock.

I'd probably keep the soft top on during the late summer into the late fall b/c the weather is generally dry here during that time, and the outside temps are perfect for the drop top. I'd put the hardtop on from early winter to mid summer.

Thanks for your help!
Fairly easy, as soon as I wake up, I take a look at the weather. Than dicide if it's going topless or not!

Yes its that easy!

My wife helps take it off, it's a 2 minute job!

Move the seats forward, release the front and rear locks! Also important to release the de froster wire, and voila! One small push and it's off! Just be careful not to strach the car or the HT, and place it somewhere safe!

Sometimes I just pass home to either take it off, or putting it on! as the weather changes!

The drawback is that you will always require a anothe pair of hands! I am thinking of installing some sort of a host, so I go solo!
Old 09-19-2005, 09:54 AM

I recommend the OEM hard top and have never regretted that I got mine. It blocks most of the wind noise, is cooler in the Summer and warmet in the Winter, provides better rear window visibility, is easy to take off and on and looks sharp. It makes it like you have two cars. One for top down and a hard top for more comfortable driving.

Quick Reply: Hardtop Questions