S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Hardtop question for anyone that has one

Old 02-27-2014 | 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Hybridxx
... but it wouldnt hurt to use the hoist just to get off and on.
It might if it violates the terms of the lease agreement on his rental. My landlord would definitely not take kindly to such a modification in the parking structure at our place.

Originally Posted by superstuddc27
I rent a place so making any modifications to put in some kind of hoist in the garage really isnt an option at this moment.
Old 03-01-2014 | 03:23 PM

Have the OEM top and it's about 48 lbs. and difficult to balance. Two people inures no scratches!
Old 03-07-2014 | 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by superstuddc27
I'm debating whether or not it's possible to remove and put on the hardtop by myself as it seems like I would want to do this couple times a week.
You CAN take it off by yourself, but putting it back on alone is going to be a lot more difficult (I've never even bothered to try). And at a couple times a week, you're definitely going to need a hoist or a buddy to help. It might not be heavy, but it's really awkward to lift.

After the first few times, I just left mine off to avoid the hassle.
Old 03-08-2014 | 06:48 AM
15 Year Member

I've taken it off and put it back on by myself - actually took the damn thing up a flight of stairs to my second floor apartment once.

Was it a hassle? Absolutely, I worried every millisecond I would lose grip and shatter the glass. It's certainly do-able.

Putting it back on I would wear the hardtop like a turtle shell and then stand on the two seats and slowly lower it. Again, do-able, but not something I'd like to do regularly.

Once summer hits I'll likely leave it on the stand and use my cockpit cover while it's garaged.
Old 03-08-2014 | 06:59 AM

to the people saying its easy I would like to hear your method of doing it. Ive taken off and on my forbidden top a few times myself. I wouldnt say its easy though. the way I do it is to grab the top at the base of the rear window and the middle of the front at the windshield and just pick the whole thing up. Im not a big guy and its definitely awkward. putting it on is harder because I have to line up the pins in the rear catchers without hitting the body. maybe I will try the turtle method next time.
Old 03-08-2014 | 05:45 PM

Mine started off as a security measure since my soft top was new and the previous owner just had it replaced since someone tried breaking into the car. It's a RSG Replica so I had my fair share of creaks and noises but after taking it on and off a few times I eventually perfected the seals and now I can take it on and off in a matter of a few minutes and I know exactly how I need to line it up etc.

Also, I thought I would be taking the top off/on but in all honesty. I don't really even like taking it off, I feel like the hard top really sets the car off. One drawback for me is I use security brackets so if I want to take my top off and still have the option for my soft top I have to take off the pillar pieces and loosen the top/visors and put on my OEM strikers. It's just nice to have the option to do both overall and hardtops don't really lose value either if you can get replica/ used and or on sale.
Old 03-09-2014 | 06:14 AM

I do it myself all the time. I bought a carbon top for that reason, it wasn't to look pretty. It was so that I could put it on/take it off myself on a whim. A rep carbon tops weigh less that 20 lbs, possibly 15 with the latches etc. I never checked, so I dont "truly" know, but i'm not all that strong, so, cant be much. I have it down to a 30 second task at this point. and i do it basically the same as that guy. If i had an OEM top that weighed, 35/45lbs, I probably wouldn't chance it.