S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Hardtop question for anyone that has one

Old 02-26-2014 | 06:14 PM

It would drive me crazy to have all the wind noise with the softtop all the time. I would probably sell the car and just get the cayman s if I did not have the hardtop. The hardtop is very easy to put down yourself. I never have the top down especially when I am on the freeway at 75 mph. First day I got the car, I had the top down and my ears rung for a long time (It is why many motorcyclist wear ear plugs). I value my hearing too much.
Old 02-26-2014 | 06:14 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by superstuddc27
Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn' timestamp='1393453952' post='23035913
There is a number of factors that you need to consider. I have a hardtop and love driving top down however the weather in Seattle isn't top down friendly very much. So that makes the choice easier.

Another factor is the hardware you buy. The OEM hardware is the easiest for fast easy removal and you plan on regularly removing the top this is the best hardware you can buy (it also seems to make the top fit the best). Some hardware requires you to unbolt the top and is a much bigger pain to remove.

To the guy that said you can't do it by yourself. This is not true. You are either to short or to weak. I am 6 foot and while it is an awkward lift I regularly remove and put back my top by myself. The OEM top weighs at least 50 lbs (it is the heaviest but most well made option) and takes some strength and balance but its not impossible.

So in short the hardtop does not make driving top down impossible or overly difficult if you have the right things. I actually think it makes the car more useable as the OEM top as much better visibility than the soft top (mugen top and soft top are about the same) there is a little added security with it and it makes driving the S2000 in none top down weather easier. I love my hardtop and it is one one of the better things I have bought for the car.
Good point. I would hate to unbolt brackets every time, that would take forever. Probably I will try to see a hardtop in person and observe what it involves taking it on and off. Thanks

Originally Posted by freq
I think being able to remove a top by yourself, replica or OEM, has a LOT to do with just how large / tall / strong you are and how much you value you car / top.

OP should NOT get one.
was that meant as an insult? You dont even know me

Settle down there stud.

I am by no means a giant or a midget but I would NEVER attempt to remove my hardtop by myself as I value my car and top too much. They were both relatively expensive and years later, are still in very good shape, I want to keep them that way.

When removing my top I ask my wife to remove her rings, we unlock the latches, each grab a side, lift the top off the car and put it in the garage on a stand.

Trying to do this by yourself may not be as easy as some on here make it seem and then there's your storage issue.

Don't get a hardtop. There I said it again.
Old 02-26-2014 | 06:51 PM

I just recently got a mugen rep hard top from forbidden and I love it. Before the top came in I use to always go top down wherever I go, cold/sprinkling. Ever since I installed the hard top going top down has never really crossed my mind. As for taking it off yourself. The mugen replica is not heavy at all but its just too bulky to take it off yourself. I wouldn't want to risk dropping it. I suggest a harness or having a friend around. I am 6ft tall and have a wide structure but yet I still would not want to remove the top by myself.
Old 02-26-2014 | 06:56 PM
Site Moderator
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by darkdream
It would drive me crazy to have all the wind noise with the softtop all the time. I would probably sell the car and just get the cayman s if I did not have the hardtop. The hardtop is very easy to put down yourself. I never have the top down especially when I am on the freeway at 75 mph. First day I got the car, I had the top down and my ears rung for a long time (It is why many motorcyclist wear ear plugs). I value my hearing too much.
If the top fits right and has the right seals and hardware there is no wind noise. Your soft top should not have this issue either. Something is wrong with your car.
Old 02-26-2014 | 07:27 PM

I'm thinking about getting one but for those of you that have one AND enjoy going top down quite often, is it worth it? I dont mean the money, I'm talking the effort required to put it on and take it off constantly.

Which brings me to my second question, why does it require two people to put it on and take it off? From what I read it weighs something like 18-22 lbs for the forbidden hard top and there are just a few latches. Can't you just go inside the car, undo the latches and then use both hands to just overhead press it and walk out of the car? 20 lbs seems really light.
I have never seen a hardtop and how it's connected in person so I'm trying to fill in the blanks here.

I'm debating whether or not it's possible to remove and put on the hardtop by myself as it seems like I would want to do this couple times a week. if I want a few days of sun I'd like the option of going top down. And then if there's a few days where I have longer highway commutes and want some quiet and privacy I'd like to put it back on.
Obviously doing this over and over with someone else would be a pain in the ass for them.
Moved to CA three years ago and I have never once put my OEM hardtop back on. I would also never consider removing it by myself. One slip and.....
Old 02-26-2014 | 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by freq
Settle down there stud.

I am by no means a giant or a midget but I would NEVER attempt to remove my hardtop by myself as I value my car and top too much. They were both relatively expensive and years later, are still in very good shape, I want to keep them that way.

When removing my top I ask my wife to remove her rings, we unlock the latches, each grab a side, lift the top off the car and put it in the garage on a stand.

Trying to do this by yourself may not be as easy as some on here make it seem and then there's your storage issue.

Don't get a hardtop. There I said it again.
My apologies, took it the wrong way.
You're right I don't want to damage the car doing it by myself, probably not a good idea to get a hardtop at this point. I feel I would want it off and on more frequently than it's worth.

Originally Posted by 2Kaputnik
Moved to CA three years ago and I have never once put my OEM hardtop back on. I would also never consider removing it by myself. One slip and.....
Great thing about CA, winter or shall I say "winter" is about 3 months long.

I am however, not very fond of the excess ambient noise that comes from the soft top. That would be one of the reasons I want a hardtop. Wish there was a way to reinforce the soft top to kill some of the noise..
Old 02-26-2014 | 10:16 PM

I am however, not very fond of the excess ambient noise that comes from the soft top. That would be one of the reasons I want a hardtop. Wish there was a way to reinforce the soft top to kill some of the noise..
Actually, that may be doable. Check the S2000 Interiors subforum for ideas. I know of at least one s2000 owner who has taken his car to a convertible top shop and had them install a liner. It would certainly be less expensive than an OEM hardtop.
Old 02-26-2014 | 10:50 PM

I wasn't able to install my hardtop alone. Too risky for me and I'm a bit uncoordinated.

But this guy has got it down! (Just for laughs)
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QLlB_OHvzhY
Old 02-27-2014 | 02:46 AM
Community Organizer

I love the sneaker ejection technique.

I have no experence w/ a soft top liner but people that have them seem to love it. Also, there has been discussion here how the hardtop tends to "contain" the noise inside the cabin.

Pros and cons w/ both tops.
Old 02-27-2014 | 11:59 AM

search link

did a search on s2000 hardtop hoist. Plenty of people have come up with very ingenious ways to make them lol. They look cheap too. i dont have a hardtop, or even a s2000 yet. But i probably wouldnt leave the hardtop handing on it like some do, but it wouldnt hurt to use the hoist just to get off and on.

Quick Reply: Hardtop question for anyone that has one