S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Hardtop question for anyone that has one

Old 02-26-2014 | 09:46 AM

If you have a friend/roommate/wife/girlfriend who lives with or close to you, then finding someone to give a hand with the top isn't hard. It takes less than two minutes and while the top isn't incredibly heavy, it is large and unwieldy. I personally would not want to run the risk of losing my grip and dropping the top on the car while moving it.
Old 02-26-2014 | 12:53 PM

Old 02-26-2014 | 01:07 PM
10 Year Member

I've done it by myself, LOL.

One foot on each seat, lift with your back, then simple step out of the car while resting the top on your back. It's not that awkward either, so I do it myself when no one is home to help me out. I'm fat, relatively, so the condition of my seat isn't perfect anyways - so I'm not worried if I've stepped on them once or twice.

Now lets hear all the "OMG, you're stepping on seats?!" comments.
Old 02-26-2014 | 01:12 PM

^^ OP: Go visit this guy and take his top off. Then you will know for sure.

(actually, I'm not really joking)
Old 02-26-2014 | 01:20 PM
10 Year Member

In all honestly it's best if someone helps you, more or less because you don't want to drop it. But hey, sometimes you're in a pinch like I was before a date so I winged it myself.
Old 02-26-2014 | 01:32 PM
Site Moderator
10 Year Member

There is a number of factors that you need to consider. I have a hardtop and love driving top down however the weather in Seattle isn't top down friendly very much. So that makes the choice easier.

Another factor is the hardware you buy. The OEM hardware is the easiest for fast easy removal and you plan on regularly removing the top this is the best hardware you can buy (it also seems to make the top fit the best). Some hardware requires you to unbolt the top and is a much bigger pain to remove.

To the guy that said you can't do it by yourself. This is not true. You are either to short or to weak. I am 6 foot and while it is an awkward lift I regularly remove and put back my top by myself. The OEM top weighs at least 50 lbs (it is the heaviest but most well made option) and takes some strength and balance but its not impossible.

So in short the hardtop does not make driving top down impossible or overly difficult if you have the right things. I actually think it makes the car more useable as the OEM top as much better visibility than the soft top (mugen top and soft top are about the same) there is a little added security with it and it makes driving the S2000 in none top down weather easier. I love my hardtop and it is one one of the better things I have bought for the car.
Old 02-26-2014 | 01:59 PM

Not really related to what other people are saying involving the removal of the top, but before you buy from Forbidden-USA you may want to read this...

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/107...th-them-again/

Edit: I'm not sure what other people's experiences have been with this company, but this certainly scared me off.
Old 02-26-2014 | 02:03 PM
Community Organizer

I think being able to remove a top by yourself, replica or OEM, has a LOT to do with just how large / tall / strong you are and how much you value you car / top.

OP should NOT get one.
Old 02-26-2014 | 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
There is a number of factors that you need to consider. I have a hardtop and love driving top down however the weather in Seattle isn't top down friendly very much. So that makes the choice easier.

Another factor is the hardware you buy. The OEM hardware is the easiest for fast easy removal and you plan on regularly removing the top this is the best hardware you can buy (it also seems to make the top fit the best). Some hardware requires you to unbolt the top and is a much bigger pain to remove.

To the guy that said you can't do it by yourself. This is not true. You are either to short or to weak. I am 6 foot and while it is an awkward lift I regularly remove and put back my top by myself. The OEM top weighs at least 50 lbs (it is the heaviest but most well made option) and takes some strength and balance but its not impossible.

So in short the hardtop does not make driving top down impossible or overly difficult if you have the right things. I actually think it makes the car more useable as the OEM top as much better visibility than the soft top (mugen top and soft top are about the same) there is a little added security with it and it makes driving the S2000 in none top down weather easier. I love my hardtop and it is one one of the better things I have bought for the car.
Good point. I would hate to unbolt brackets every time, that would take forever. Probably I will try to see a hardtop in person and observe what it involves taking it on and off. Thanks

Originally Posted by freq
I think being able to remove a top by yourself, replica or OEM, has a LOT to do with just how large / tall / strong you are and how much you value you car / top.

OP should NOT get one.
was that meant as an insult? You dont even know me
Old 02-26-2014 | 03:35 PM

^^ OP: I took it as he was saying that if there is any question if you (or any owner of an S2000) can safely lift the hard top completely unaided without risk of damage to your car (about which you probably care a LOT) that you shouldn't do it. I didn't take it as an insult.

It's not an insult to say that a person might not have sufficient height or upper body strength to lift something that is big and awkward. It is also not an insult to say someone cares about their car so much that they don't want to risk damage to it.

Or maybe he was insulting you. All depends on how you want to interpret it.

Quick Reply: Hardtop question for anyone that has one