S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Hardtop question for anyone that has one

Old 02-25-2014 | 10:34 PM

Default Hardtop question for anyone that has one

I'm thinking about getting one but for those of you that have one AND enjoy going top down quite often, is it worth it? I dont mean the money, I'm talking the effort required to put it on and take it off constantly.

Which brings me to my second question, why does it require two people to put it on and take it off? From what I read it weighs something like 18-22 lbs for the forbidden hard top and there are just a few latches. Can't you just go inside the car, undo the latches and then use both hands to just overhead press it and walk out of the car? 20 lbs seems really light.
I have never seen a hardtop and how it's connected in person so I'm trying to fill in the blanks here.

I'm debating whether or not it's possible to remove and put on the hardtop by myself as it seems like I would want to do this couple times a week. if I want a few days of sun I'd like the option of going top down. And then if there's a few days where I have longer highway commutes and want some quiet and privacy I'd like to put it back on.
Obviously doing this over and over with someone else would be a pain in the ass for them.
Old 02-25-2014 | 11:39 PM

you can't do it by yourself. it's a balance issue. on and off a couple times a week is a huge hassle in my mind.
Old 02-26-2014 | 01:53 AM
20 Year Member

Sounds like a hoist in your garage would work best for you.
Levi
Old 02-26-2014 | 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by chuhsi
you can't do it by yourself. it's a balance issue. on and off a couple times a week is a huge hassle in my mind.
LOL really? I do it by myself ALL the time. I have a Mugen Rep and I think it 42- 47 pounds and I do it from one side of the car alone.
It's not an issue you can do it if you want to. and no It's not a hassle.
If I were you I'd just leave it off until you needed to have it on.
Get a hoist in the garage if you want to go that route.
Doable, and easily at that.

Old 02-26-2014 | 03:49 AM
15 Year Member

I agree. It's not something you want to do by yourself. It's light but it's very bulky. One slip can cost you hundreds at the collision shop. I like the idea of the top hoist but I've never used one myself.
Old 02-26-2014 | 06:26 AM
mD5

Mine weighs no-where near 40 lbs. my forbidden replica weighs around 30 lbs max. I take it off by myself all the time. Oem latches make life really easy. I bought a hardtop for winter though, stays off all summer.
Old 02-26-2014 | 07:35 AM
15 Year Member

A hoist system would be perfect if you have the space to do it. My OEM hardtop was awkward to remove and it took 2 people. I've removed my Mugen CF hardtop myself but I don't feel comfortable doing it with that much money on the line, lol. It is doable though. I'm not much of a convertible guy so I keep my hardtop on most of the year.
Old 02-26-2014 | 07:53 AM
15 Year Member

I'd say if you like going top down (or off in this case) often, then I wouldn't bother with a hardtop. I knew going into buying my CR that I would have to plan for going top off with the car by checking the weather and so on since I wouldn't want to get caught without it (no soft top). I can't tell you how many days I've been driving with the top on and wish that I had it off to enjoy the weather. I can't just put it down at the next traffic light like someone with a soft top only could. I really think it comes down to personal preference... some people don't even like to go top down and those are the types I would say a hardtop makes sense for. It sounds like you prefer the open air like I do so I would save your money and keep the freedom to go top up or down on the fly.

As far as removing the hardtop, it's not difficult or heavy... it's just awkward, large, and the weight is mostly in the back with the glass. Yes it is possible to remove it by yourself but I DO NOT recommend you do so. Others on here will tell you it's fine, and it may be for them or even you, but to me it's not worth the risk of damaging it because you didn't have someone to help (esp if it's an OEM top since they're no longer made). As another member mentioned, go with a hoist if you don't have someone available to help you... then it becomes a one man job without the risk of dropping it.

Best of luck, it sounds to me like you'd be better off without a hardtop... sometimes I wish I had a soft top!
Old 02-26-2014 | 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by FurY
I'd say if you like going top down (or off in this case) often, then I wouldn't bother with a hardtop. I knew going into buying my CR that I would have to plan for going top off with the car by checking the weather and so on since I wouldn't want to get caught without it (no soft top). I can't tell you how many days I've been driving with the top on and wish that I had it off to enjoy the weather. I can't just put it down at the next traffic light like someone with a soft top only could. I really think it comes down to personal preference... some people don't even like to go top down and those are the types I would say a hardtop makes sense for. It sounds like you prefer the open air like I do so I would save your money and keep the freedom to go top up or down on the fly.

As far as removing the hardtop, it's not difficult or heavy... it's just awkward, large, and the weight is mostly in the back with the glass. Yes it is possible to remove it by yourself but I DO NOT recommend you do so. Others on here will tell you it's fine, and it may be for them or even you, but to me it's not worth the risk of damaging it because you didn't have someone to help (esp if it's an OEM top since they're no longer made). As another member mentioned, go with a hoist if you don't have someone available to help you... then it becomes a one man job without the risk of dropping it.

Best of luck, it sounds to me like you'd be better off without a hardtop... sometimes I wish I had a soft top!
Damn ok I guess you hit it on the nail. I like the look of the hardtop on an S but I also love the open air. And I live in CA so I probably go top down everyday except in the winter months. Not sure a hardtop is worth the expense just to use 3 months out of the year then..

It would be a pain in the ass to have someone help me all the time. I rent a place so making any modifications to put in some kind of hoist in the garage really isnt an option at this moment.
Maybe I'll just get better latches to make the sound quieter on the freeway.

I guess since I've never seen or put a hardtop on, it probably is harder than it sounds. I thought it was going to be easy esp at 30 lbs.. most people can lift 30 lbs over their head with 1 hand.

I also thought of using industrial velcro (really heavy duty, doesnt budge) and gluing large strips onto a set of gloves and then the mating stripes onto the underside of the hardtop on each side. Then going into the car, undo all the latches, squat down with each leg on each seat, put your hand over your head and use the velcro to secure the hardtop onto your hand so it doesnt move around or slip. then walk it out. But who knows, I've never held one up close so probably wouldn't work.

Thanks for the good tips everyone.
Old 02-26-2014 | 09:44 AM
15 Year Member

^ Golden rule of leather seats is to never step on them with your knees or feet, it will stretch the leather and you will affect the appearance of the seat bottom.

Quick Reply: Hardtop question for anyone that has one