S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Hardtop pics with hardtop removed please

Old 09-03-2002 | 07:53 AM

Originally posted by Triple-H
Sorry, I have no photos of just the brackets.

If you are wondering if the car looks different the answer is basically no. You would have to go out of your way to look at a car to determine if it has been retrofitted to take a hardtop. And if you use the roof cover when the top is down, you would never know because the brackets would be covered by it.
The brackets are between the outer body and the interior plastic trim just behind the doors. The brackets are not really in the interior, you can only see them if you are looking straight down into the gap where the folding top arms move.

Is this helping???
Yeah, this explains it. I had also heard that they change the mounting brackets on the windsheild frame, the ones that the softop uses. Is this true?
Old 09-03-2002 | 07:58 AM

I saw some pics of these guys gutting the S2000's interior to install a hardtop; they had to remove the seats and completely remove the current soft-top setup. Is this the case with all hardtops?
Old 09-03-2002 | 07:59 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ajjra
[B]Yeah, this explains it.
Old 09-03-2002 | 08:18 AM

If the windshield brackets for '02 were NOT changed then I'm assuming they used the "heavy duty" brackets from the '00 and '01 hardtop kit to resolve some of the rattle problems. I think they have a TSB on the "older" cars for this rattle and they simply put in the hardtop bracket to cure the problem. The new bracket allows the soft top to clamp down harder when locked in place. However, just looking at what is exposed, you cannot tell which bracket is in place.
Also, as already indicated, the rear brackets are hidden out of sight by body trim as are the wiring bundles and harnesses.
Old 09-03-2002 | 08:28 AM

the only noticeable difference is inside the area where the top frame comes up at the rear of the doors. They add a bracket there that the hardtop latches into. Unless you look down into area underneath the bristles, you can't even see them. Oh - there is a plug added to the trim panel there for the hardtop's defroster as well.

The helm's manual lists a different part number for the hardtop strikers, but the only difference appears to be an elongated face on them where the hardtop/softtop latch makes contact. I didn't notice any difference on them after having the top installed. (I have an '01 that I bought used)

Essentially, its an unnoticeable mod to the car's appearance, and the defroster switch added behind the ashtray is the most noticeable difference. Hrm - does the '02 use the defroster switch in the dash for the hardtop?
Old 09-03-2002 | 08:44 AM

Originally posted by Aaric
...does the '02 use the defroster switch in the dash for the hardtop?
Yes.
Old 09-03-2002 | 09:37 AM
20 Year Member

Originally posted by alexf20c
I saw some pics of these guys gutting the S2000's interior to install a hardtop; they had to remove the seats and completely remove the current soft-top setup. Is this the case with all hardtops?
He must have been doing something else in addition like doing the seat belt TSB or something. You don't have to gut the interior as much as you say to install the hardtop. Seats stay in place, you don't need to touch the soft top except raise and lower it during the install. I installed mine myself and it's just removing some of the panels on the interior. Check out the instructions on H and A accessories and you'll see exactly what they need to do.

David
Old 09-03-2002 | 09:43 AM

Wouldn't you think there are some negative aspects to having the softop down all winter long while the hartop is on?

What does it look like inside? Can you see the softwop if you look over your shoulder?
Old 09-03-2002 | 10:24 AM

Essentially, the hard top sits on top of the soft top - there is a rubber seal that seals along the ridge that the toneau cover clips under in the back. Two rubber bumpers sit over the soft top to keep it from raising as well. So yes, you can see the top of the folded down soft top through the rear window glass, as well as behind the headrests.

Some of us west coast types leave the top down all summer, with no ill effects - other than creasing the rear window, if you have a plastic window, and no tube to protect it.

It doesn't seem to have any ill effects - on the contrary, I'd think the top would weather a lot better, since its not exposed to the rain, ice, salt, wind and sun.
Old 09-03-2002 | 10:25 AM
20 Year Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ajjra
[B]Wouldn't you think there are some negative aspects to having the softop down all winter long while the hartop is on?

What does it look like inside?

Quick Reply: Hardtop pics with hardtop removed please