S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Hardtop Parts - What Are These?

Old 10-27-2015, 05:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hardtop Parts - What Are These?

What are these parts from the Hardtop Guy? I don't think I have any of these parts...

None of these look terribly expensive, so if I should care, please let me know, as I will likely go ahead and purchase them...
I don't have these brushes... Are they more than just cosmetic? They are a little pricey, so if they are little more than asthetics, I will probably not buy them...

http://hardtopguy.com/store/product....&cat=92&page=1

Thanks!
Old 10-28-2015, 06:15 AM

Received 3,521 Likes on 2,531 Posts

The clear plastic strips aren't really needed. They came on all of the factory oem hardtops but they often peel off over time, mine were gone when I got my hardtop. I think they are way overpriced and not needed, plus they probably will peel off over time. That edge rests on the rubber moldings on the windshield frame, the plastic strips were intended to protect the paint on the underside of the hardtop but it doesn't really wear since it rests on the rubber moldings. Just keep the rubber seals lubricated. The strips are like a clear bra material. I ran my top for years without them.

The rear stoppers are meant to keep the softop from flopping around, they don't really touch the softop edge when in place, unless you purposely bend them to do so, but more in case of an accident or very heavy bumps. Probably worth having for the low cost.

The spacer cushions are a good idea, I'd get them if you don't have them. Cheap too.

If you are going to run the brushes then you need the hardtop ones, as the softop brushes don't give you the proper access since they are cut differently. The only other option is not to run brushes. They reduce the amount of dirt and crap the falls into those areas when driving topdown, and they finish of the installation better IMO. I'd probably get the proper brushes if you can, but it's up to you, just that you can't use the softop ones unless you can find a way to modify them - cutting ?
Old 10-28-2015, 08:19 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
The clear plastic strips aren't really needed. They came on all of the factory oem hardtops but they often peel off over time, mine were gone when I got my hardtop. I think they are way overpriced and not needed, plus they probably will peel off over time. That edge rests on the rubber moldings on the windshield frame, the plastic strips were intended to protect the paint on the underside of the hardtop but it doesn't really wear since it rests on the rubber moldings. Just keep the rubber seals lubricated. The strips are like a clear bra material. I ran my top for years without them.

The rear stoppers are meant to keep the softop from flopping around, they don't really touch the softop edge when in place, unless you purposely bend them to do so, but more in case of an accident or very heavy bumps. Probably worth having for the low cost.

The spacer cushions are a good idea, I'd get them if you don't have them. Cheap too.

If you are going to run the brushes then you need the hardtop ones, as the softop brushes don't give you the proper access since they are cut differently. The only other option is not to run brushes. They reduce the amount of dirt and crap the falls into those areas when driving topdown, and they finish of the installation better IMO. I'd probably get the proper brushes if you can, but it's up to you, just that you can't use the softop ones unless you can find a way to modify them - cutting ?
What a great reply zeroptzero... Thanks for the detail, and your suggestions!

I've spent so much on this car an extra $50 for brushes won't kill me... And most of the money I have spent has been on cosmetics anyway (body work, hardtop, rear spoiler, front lip, etc...)... Not sure why I would cheap out now to save $50 on brushes...

And with the low cost, the spacer cushions and the rear stoppers will probably be in my shopping cart as well!

I religiously lubricate my gaskets with Shin-Etsu, so I should be good there...

Question: You said (and I quote) " I ran my top for years without them." Why the past tense statement? Do you no longer own the car? Did you end up getting the clear plastic strip, despite the need? Did you get rid of your hardtop?
Old 10-28-2015, 05:13 PM

Received 3,521 Likes on 2,531 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeekiM
Originally Posted by zeroptzero' timestamp='1446041733' post='23788247

What a great reply zeroptzero... Thanks for the detail, and your suggestions!

I've spent so much on this car an extra $50 for brushes won't kill me... And most of the money I have spent has been on cosmetics anyway (body work, hardtop, rear spoiler, front lip, etc...)... Not sure why I would cheap out now to save $50 on brushes...

And with the low cost, the spacer cushions and the rear stoppers will probably be in my shopping cart as well!

I religiously lubricate my gaskets with Shin-Etsu, so I should be good there...

Question: You said (and I quote) " I ran my top for years without them." Why the past tense statement? Do you no longer own the car? Did you end up getting the clear plastic strip, despite the need? Did you get rid of your hardtop?
You're welcome.

I think that is a good way to approach it, spend the money on parts that are important, the end cost isn't very much.

My first hardtop was a use OEM that I purchased from a local member. I ran it for a few years. I then sold it to buy a Mugen CF hardtop which I continue to run on the car to this day. I'm a tried and true hardtop guy, I run it almost all of the time.