S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Hardtop owners: how long it takes to install and uninstall the hardtop?

Old 05-24-2002, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hardtop owners: how long it takes to install and uninstall the hardtop?

I am going to buy a 2002 S2k soon and I am thinking about to get the hardtop as well. I am wondering is it easy to install and unstall the hardtop? What are the steps to install the hardtop?
Old 05-24-2002, 01:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The initial (first time) install process is about 3-4 hours. After that it's about 60 seconds to remove and 2 minutes to reattach each time. Takes two people due to it's akward size.

To remove:
1. Lower windows
2. Unhinge front two latches (same as soft top)
3. Tilt seats forward and Unplug defroster
4. Pivot rear two latches
5. Lift

Reverse process to reattach.
Old 05-24-2002, 02:48 PM

Originally posted by KenS2K
The initial (first time) install process is about 3-4 hours. After that it's about 60 seconds to remove and 2 minutes to reattach each time. Takes two people due to it's akward size.

Any likelihood of scratching the finish on the car or on the hardtop when putting it on/taking it off? How do you manage for storing it. I have seen a couple of posts by members who have built an inexpensive rack out of PVC pipe. I get the impression that the top is quite bulky to store. And, when you ride around with the top on, do you find that the blind spot problem to the left and right corners is diminished? I can live with the blind spots of the soft top, but I have trained myself to do a lot of head wiggling before changing lanes.
Almost forgot.. Any problems with water leaks in heavy rain?
Old 05-24-2002, 02:51 PM

Note to jyeung: I think the hard top install is a bit easier on the 2002 model, because the rear defroster connection is already there [glass window on 2002 models only]. This may reduce initial install time a bit.
Old 05-24-2002, 03:17 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jelliotlevy
[B]Any likelihood of scratching the finish on the car or on the hardtop when putting it on/taking it off?
Old 05-24-2002, 03:23 PM

jyeung,
The dealer will do the initial install for a price. You could maybe get them to throw it into the initial deal if you get the car and top at the same time. If not, I can lend a hand on that.