S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

To Hardtop or not to Hardtop ???????

Old 09-12-2001, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Hardtop or not to Hardtop ???????

I need help deciding whether to get a hardtop for my car or not. I've seen pics of the Honda hardtop at handa.com but do not like what I see. I tend to be leaning towards the Mugen hardtop but don't want to pay what they are asking.

I live in LA and should not worry about rain and cold weather but there are some days when you wish you had the non-rag top vehicle.

Can someone please show me some pics of what their own car looks like in the hardtop? Also, does it add anything to the car performace wise? Does it make it more aerodynamic?

I am just curious and don't want to spend the money and later regret it. Last, for those of you who have the hardtop are you happy with it, does it reduce cabin noise, increase rear window visability, etc., etc.

Thanks.
Old 09-12-2001, 02:07 PM

Barry in Wyoming has a nice hardtop on his silver S2000. He seems quite satisfied with it; however, he has to contend with inclimate weather (snow), where you don't.
Old 09-12-2001, 02:12 PM

i'd go with the mugen hardtop
Old 09-12-2001, 02:12 PM
S2R

If you like to go topless most of the time, don't get the ht. Btw, the Mugen fiberglass hardtop is like $2700 unpainted, which is comparable to the oem hardtop.

Hardtop looks good, has greater visibility, has reduced wind noise, and has a window defroster.
Old 09-12-2001, 02:52 PM

You should check out a few threads by doing a search for "hardtops". Here's one thread which has pics of black, silver and white (mine): https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...ghlight=hardtop

The HT certainly has some benefits. Even in California, you may want to use it for at least 3 months of the year, and it'll be a real blessing if you do summer trips to Palm Springs, Vegas, or the desert. It's also very quiet, and provides practically all-round visibility. No need to worry anymore about scratches on the plastic window!

Don't expect that better aerodynamics = more speed. It weighs about 44 lb - so that'll slow you down, right there. Mugen may be lighter than the Honda HT, but it comes unpainted. Many ppl have expressed their opinion that the Honda one is the much nicer of the two.
Old 09-12-2001, 03:09 PM
RTS

I know this hardtop thing has been discussed at length, but does anyone know if pictures of a RED one have ever been posted. I would GREATLY appreciate seeing what it looks like. My dealer has quoted me a price of $2700 and since I live in Wisconsin I am considering it.

Thanks!!
Old 09-12-2001, 03:30 PM

RTS: Thanks to twohoos who posted it in a previous thread, here is possibly the only existing pic of a red S2K hardtop, this side of Katmandu:

Old 09-12-2001, 04:23 PM

Can any one confirm the fact that installing the Hard top takes a long time. Another words it seems that once on it stays on for the season!

M
Old 09-12-2001, 05:26 PM

the hardtop can be put on and removed in a snap, the only prob is you need another person to help lift it. after that four snaps (2 front latchers and 2 rear latches) and you done... here are my pics
Old 09-12-2001, 07:21 PM

I live in a condo complex with a secured, community, underground garage. There's no ground space to put a stand, but there may be an opportunity to hang the hardtop from the ceiling as storage. How easy/costly is this installation of the hanging storage mechanism and how quickly can the hardtop be removed from this mechanism? Thanks.

Quick Reply: To Hardtop or not to Hardtop ???????