S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Hardtop and insurance

Old 10-28-2003, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hardtop and insurance

My '02 convertible top is out of the factory warranty and is developing a tear along the side seam. Extended warranty isn't going to cover it. So, I'm very likely going to get a hardtop...just throw it on and forget about the convertible top.

My question is as follows. Those of you who have hardtops, did you explicitly add it to your insurance policy? I'm thinking that insurance will only cover the stock convertible top by default, and I would like the hardtop to be covered as well. How did you guys go about making sure the hardtop is covered?

Thanks a bunch for any input.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:00 AM

Call your agent and talk to them. Typically you can get some accessories covered up to a certain amount and after that you are suppose to pay. Your agent will be able to tell you more.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:26 AM

That is crazy! Hondacare would cover the cost of changing the timing belt(I know this for a fact), but it won't cover the convertible top? Are you sure about that? Convertible top is a wear and tear item? Did the manual specify exactly what intervals we need to change it?

Anyway, I'm sure if you can prove that the part is defective, Honda care would be "glad" to fix it. My softtop isn't torn... and I have a MY02 also. These softtops aren't that fragile. Of course, if you were the one, or other outside forces, who damaged the softtop, than thats another story. Perhaps the insurance should take care of that.

I just find it hard to believe that Honda Care is that lame.

Glad I bought my hardtop to protect the wear and tear of my softtop then(and I just assumed my insurace will cover my hardtop... ) and glad I didn't purchase the Honda Care extended warranty too... (even with a free timing belt change, Honda Care just isn't worth it because Hondas are just too damn reliable. If a Civic can be that reliable for 10 yrs, I figured a Japan-built S2k must be even better! )

Hope things work out for you one way or another. Good luck!
Old 10-28-2003, 10:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, so you had the top replaced once because of a tear under the 36k warranty. So, is there a new warranty on the new top for 36k miles from the time it was replaced or do they still go off the entire vehicle milleage. I guess you'd have to read the policy about it, but if I was at 35k and had a bad tranny replaced under warranty and it failed again at 37k, I'd be up in arms if they came back and said, sorry, you're warranty is expired and you'll have to pay for it yourself.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:40 AM

A tranny is not considered a wear and tear item per se. Honda could have done the first top for free, just like they would replace the plastic window only once.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:46 AM

lanbrown,

Thanks, I'm going to call and ask once I'm closer to making the purchase. Just wanted to see what others have done first.

Billi,

I don't have HondaCare so I'm not sure what the terms actually say. I found it rather odd as well that the soft top is considered a wear-and-tear item. That policy is just what the service manager told me.

3ngin33r1,

I have not explicitly asked, but my impression is that they still go by the overall vehicle mileage when deciding warranty period for the new soft top. To clarify, I believe there was also a separate warranty for the new soft top, but it is only for a very brief period...perhaps something like 30 days or 90 days. Once that period expires, the overall vehicle mileage is the determining factor. I'll call in the afternoon to check, but my guess is that it's not going to help me.

Also, it's been a while since my soft top was replaced. It was replaced at 29k miles, and I'm now at 48k miles.
Old 10-28-2003, 11:02 AM

Originally posted by lanbrown
A tranny is not considered a wear and tear item per se.
Tell that to all the people that had tranny warranty work declined.
Old 10-28-2003, 11:38 AM

I just checked the warranty information for my replacement (the first time around) soft top, and here's the exact wording...
Old 10-28-2003, 11:44 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 3ngin33r1
Old 10-28-2003, 12:17 PM

That's actually not too bad of a warranty cyber_x. Too bad you fell outside of that time frame/milleage.

Quick Reply: Hardtop and insurance