S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Hardtop Installation Parts

Old 08-24-2005, 09:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hardtop Installation Parts

Hi everyone,
I am purchasing a hardtop for my 2001. It's from a 2003.
Now first off, I know the hardtops alone are the same. It's the installation kit that is different.
I have ordered the heavy duty hardtop strikers for my 2001, so the 2003 car can keep those.
Now for the catchers and other parts. I am not worrying about the heater/defroster. So it's just the catchers now. Will I be able to use the catchers from the 2003 on my 2001? Will the 2003 car need to replace any part if he gives me the hardtop catchers (the piece that sides neck-level behind the seat, on the side)?
This particular piece has not been covered before as I tried searching. It's kind of random, but I hope somene can help.
I don't want the 2003 car needing to replace anything. I want the parts from the 2003 (and my own hardtop strikers) to install the hardtop on my 2001. Thanks a lot!!!
Old 08-24-2005, 11:32 PM

TTT.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what i've been told in other threads, the hardtop side catchers are not part of any installation kit and are included within the Hardtop Kit itself when you purchase the hardtop. So, the side catchers should be the same within all years.

To answer your other question, the only thing that the 2003 owner might want to replace are the interior side brushes. But he can keep those and you can use your stock ones to keep things simple.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:51 PM

Thanks a lot. So if he gave me the catchers, I would be able to completely mount his hardtop on my car with my hardtop strikers? And he wouldn't need to replace anything on his car after giving me the rear catchers? Clarifying... Thanks so much!
Old 08-24-2005, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by WyattH,Aug 25 2005, 12:51 AM
Thanks a lot. So if he gave me the catchers, I would be able to completely mount his hardtop on my car with my hardtop strikers? And he wouldn't need to replace anything on his car after giving me the rear catchers? Clarifying... Thanks so much!
Yeah!

All you need to mount the hardtop (assuming that it already has the locking pins attached to it):

-Side Catchers
-Hardtop Strikers

All the other mumbo jumbo is for getting the defroster to work for your model year.

EDIT:
-I may not be 100% correct on this. This is just from my experience with my car and a used hardtop that i bought. Honestly, your best bet would be to contact Hardtopguy, he will have all the correct answers to your questions.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:26 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Getting a driver's side rear catch is easy, I have one available somewhere. The passenger side one is another story - and a helluva lot of money. Many HTs came with 2000-2001 driver's side catches that were useless when installing on a model with a glass rear window - so there's lots of spares floating around.

But: no one gives up their passenger side catch, for they are all the same on all models.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by rworne,Aug 25 2005, 02:26 AM
Getting a driver's side rear catch is easy, I have one available somewhere. The passenger side one is another story - and a helluva lot of money. Many HTs came with 2000-2001 driver's side catches that were useless when installing on a model with a glass rear window - so there's lots of spares floating around.

But: no one gives up their passenger side catch, for they are all the same on all models.
Not sure where you picked this up. This is the first time I've every heard that. As mentioned, both side catchers come with the hardtop, which does not and has not varied by model year.

Only the install kit (which doesn't include a side catcher for any car, that I'm aware of) varies by model year. It includes the parts necessary to make the defroster work.

I know on the earlier models (00-01) you have to bend a piece of metal in order to mount the side catchers. Maybe they changed this (?) for the later years so the perception is that the parts changed?
Old 08-25-2005, 06:10 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by munckee,Aug 25 2005, 06:13 AM
Not sure where you picked this up. This is the first time I've every heard that. As mentioned, both side catchers come with the hardtop, which does not and has not varied by model year.

Only the install kit (which doesn't include a side catcher for any car, that I'm aware of) varies by model year. It includes the parts necessary to make the defroster work.

I know on the earlier models (00-01) you have to bend a piece of metal in order to mount the side catchers. Maybe they changed this (?) for the later years so the perception is that the parts changed?
I picked this up from looking at my hardtop and hardtop install kit as well as looking the parts over while I installed it.

Every hardtop comes with two rear catches. The problem is, certain model years require a different driver's side catch because of the rear defroster (or lack of one) in later models. There's a wiring harness on it, and that harness is different.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:22 AM

So your install kit came with an extra side catcher? I'm not saying you're wrong, but this is the first time that I've ever heard anyone mention this, and this topic has come up often. I've never personally installed the HT on a car newer than 01, so I'll trust your eyes more than mine on that one.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:08 AM

Hrm. So 03 his driver side catch wont fit on my 01? Or it will, but I cant use the wiring harness? When you take the catchers off, does anything go back on there (like a part from my car would go on his)?

Quick Reply: Hardtop Installation Parts