S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

hard top options

Old 07-10-2005 | 01:35 PM

Default hard top options

Sorry for the ignorance, but I've dug around a bit and can't figure this out.

The price quote feature of Honda's web pages have a hard top dust cover and a hard top stand, but not a hardtop. This is where my confusion stems from. The car doesn't come with one does it?

I've dug around here and at http://www.hardtopguy.com/ but I haven't really figured out what the deal is. I saw some kits for fitting a used hard top but that's not what I want. I searched around here and it seems that quite a few people have gotten full hard tops from there, but I want details.

Can someone give me a basic run down of hard top options for the S2000? Thanks.
Old 07-10-2005 | 01:45 PM

I just recently purchased a used hardtop for my S2k

As far as options it depends on what you mean.

Manufacturers of Hardtop:
You have Honda, Mugen, and Seibon

The Honda is the least expensive option as far as new.

You then have to look at an install kit depending on the year of your car. This kit adds side catches for the top as well as relaces strikers, defrost wiring.

This kit again will depend on year of car.

The seibon top is a carbon fiber top. Mugen I am not to familar with.

Hardtopguy has the best "retail" new price out there.

Be carefull if you buy used and factor in the cost of what items you will need to install.
Old 07-10-2005 | 02:00 PM

The S2000 does not come with a hardtop, but a factory option is available from Honda dealers. The tops are aluminum and painted to match the factory color of your choice.

Hardtop Guy is a Honda dealer (GANLEY HONDA) selling Honda hardtops at a discounted price. Honda dealers charge $2995 + tax, where Hardtop Guy charges $2500 + Shipping (no tax if outside of OH). I reciently purchased one from them and the total price shipped to my door was $2,875. I highly recommend using Hardtop Guy, as they stock hardtops and are very helpful with delivery and installation. I recieved my hardtop in 2 days and Jeff & Scott were very helpful with its installation. It only takes 1/2 to 1 hour to install. No installation kit is needed for new S2000s, but are required for older ones.

Other options are Mugen carbon fiber or fiberglass tops, or immitation Mugen tops. Mugen tops are rather expensive, with the CF top being greater than $5k.
Old 07-10-2005 | 02:14 PM

So the hard top is actually a Honda part; I wonder why I can't see or select it when requesting a quote.

Excellent replies, thank you very much for the information.
Old 07-10-2005 | 02:21 PM

Best guess is that you may find different prices on the hardtop based on the dealer and the parts department. Honda America website may not list the price based on the variances out there.

As with hardtop guy you see what a difference he has on pricing. The parts departments are independent and actually in theory sell the parts to the sales people when you add options to your car. I just purchased a new 05 pilot and added about 1,500 in options to it (siderails, front guard, top rails, window visors, etc..). After my salesman priced it I went home and went to www.handaaccessories.com and printed of their prices. I also have a good friend who has an import shop and was going to install all the items for a good price. With this info I went back to honda with a written counter on their pricing. They met my counter and it saved my about $400.

Always push for better pricing on any of these options.
Old 07-10-2005 | 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by jimcarson,Jul 10 2005, 05:00 PM
No installation kit is needed for new S2000s, but are required for older ones.
hmmm....i needed an installation kit for my 04 when I got my hardtop.
I think you mean that LESS of an installation kit is needed.

The type of kit you need, A, B, or C or year and VIN dependant.

HTG has all this info on his website.
Old 07-10-2005 | 02:36 PM

No Kit is needed for the 2005. When I said that "No installation kit is required for new S2000s", I was referring to a 2005 model... as a 2004 model is no longer the current model year. Required kits are as follows per hardtopguy.com:

2000 VIN UNDER 5730 hardtop installation kit #275 - $ 650.00
2000-2001 Hardtop installation kit #273 - $525.00
2002-2004 hardtop installation kit #274 - $ 399.29

There are some parts needed for the installation... 2 plates that mount onto the body to secure the back of the top and a few trim parts, but they're included with the top at no extra cost!
Old 07-10-2005 | 02:48 PM

Hey that's awsome ! No kit for needed for the "new model" . I didn't know that.
Old 07-10-2005 | 02:52 PM

I didnt realize that either - I knew they were gradually introducing more parts as stock through the years, but didnt think they would put everything as stock! good deal for you i guess then!
Old 07-10-2005 | 03:33 PM

Another plus for the hard top from Honda is that it greatly reduces the blind spots with its wrap around rear window when compared to the soft top's flat rear window... plus the top makes the car look good IMO.

Quick Reply: hard top options