S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Hard top

Old 10-17-2006, 09:44 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would only consider removing the soft top if you live in a place where you don't get weather changes throughout the day. For instance it may be sunny when you leave in the morning but what do you do if it starts raining while you're still out without your top? I had a somewhat similar situation with my 944 Porsche, in that it had a sunroof that was removable (leaving the whole roof open). However that was much more practical as the roof panel could be stored in the trunk for when the weather gets bad. I'd hate to drive to the beach with a hardtop, or without any roof as you wouldn't be able to put it up once you're there.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rdrcr,Oct 17 2006, 06:51 AM
Funny, every time I have searched or read a thread about this topic, 90% of the posters want to talk the thread starter out of his idea........I guess it does make sense because the S is a roadster. However, I did not buy my car because it was a convertible. I purchased the car for the platform, drivetrain, performance, size and weight.

Mike
Not saying its a bad idea, just saying that its a lot of work for almost no reason or gain. I have a strong feeling the original poster (if he ever comes back) feels that it is necessary to have the softtop removed to install the hardtop.

Just saying its alot of work for pretty much nothing. Guess whether its beneficial and worth the effort is up to the owner doing so
Old 10-17-2006, 11:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Beanolo- I have a question. I'll be getting a HT sometime next spring and was wondering your procedure for R/R'ing by yourself?
I live alone and would like to be able to remove and replace by myself if this is possible.
Could you post your procedure for myself and others?. TIA, Jack
Old 10-17-2006, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by JackS,Oct 17 2006, 07:17 PM
Beanolo- I have a question. I'll be getting a HT sometime next spring and was wondering your procedure for R/R'ing by yourself?
I live alone and would like to be able to remove and replace by myself if this is possible.
Could you post your procedure for myself and others?. TIA, Jack
PM xviper and ask him how he dies it.

Oh wait. xviper quit coming to this forum...but seriously, check some of his stickies.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:28 AM

i took a soft top out of a 00 s2k, and it only takes 30min to do,
Old 10-17-2006, 12:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally, I'll never take out the soft top but one advantage to doing so is to gain storage space in the tub that houses the top when down. A substantial improvement compared to what's readily available in the cabin.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got this done, check out my pics... the total weight for the softtop was 70 lbs (70.2x)
motor/brackets/frame, everything.
i love it.

hardtop is about 45.x lbs with the mounting kit.

keep all ur bolts and nuts in a secure place.. don't lose them

&

also tape it up real good before u remove anything... i'm an anal person but it's not a bad idea so just incase of scratching anything.

patient is the key.

prepare for 6 +- hrs of work, again couldn't have done it without my buddy Alejandro (thx again)
check it out

Old 10-18-2006, 10:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i cant live without the softop since i'm a top down person. i do however want to get a hardtop for the security.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:30 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Would only do it if never planning on selling the car.
Doesn't save much weight.
Take the spare and tools out.
If it's a track car, then go for it.

It's pretty easy to get on and off for two people.
I've done it before by myself and it's a little bit of a pain.
If I didn't have a helper, I'd purchase a garage ceiling winch (or make my own).
Old 10-18-2006, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by davidvonyork,Oct 16 2006, 06:28 PM
so i can tint my windows and be sneaky......
LOL how sneaky?

Quick Reply: Hard top