S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Hard top

Old 10-16-2006, 06:28 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard top

I need some feedback on this idea....

Im thinking of ripping out all the convertable stuff, and permanently installing a hard top to the car. I will save weight, and i just personally like the look more. I was wondering if this is possible? I have a 00' and i hate my plastic window, and i hate the ragtop . I love the car, but i just want to go with the hardtop option, so i can tint my windows and be sneaky......

How many people do this?
Old 10-16-2006, 06:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The only con about hardtops is they're such a tight fit and most of the time a pain to put back on. But i know of a few who have taken out their tops and replace them with a hardtop since they never put their tops down. But seriously, who doesn't want to drive a convertable where you can just flip a switch instead of taking 5 minutes and taking off your top, then putting it back on.

So if you don't ever drop your top, then i would give a thumbs up, but if you like to drop your top, then

Hope that that gave you some help on your decision
Old 10-16-2006, 08:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You won't save very much weight. Do some more research on this board before making this decision, at it is a big one.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by davidvonyork,Oct 16 2006, 09:28 PM

Im thinking of ripping out all the convertable stuff, and permanently installing a hard top to the car. I will save weight, and i just personally like the look more. I was wondering if this is possible? I have a 00' and i hate my plastic window, and i hate the ragtop . I love the car, but i just want to go with the hardtop option, so i can tint my windows and be sneaky......

How many people do this?
I'm with you, man. I like the look a bit more, the added (albeit mild) security, better visibility, and it does spare us about 40 lbs if you remove the motors, too. Plus it's getting cold out!
Old 10-16-2006, 09:08 PM

i fail to see how a hardtop is consider "under the hood"

lol just playing
hope you wont regret it once u get a hardtop.

Old 10-16-2006, 09:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see why you would want this to be permanent. I have my hardtop on 90% of the year, but I just leave the softtop in there.

Just like the above poster said, the weight savings is there, but I don't think its that substantial for you to go through all the trouble of taking it out completely.

Plus the fact if you plan to sell later, you would have to put it back in.

jql168 - I'm not sure what you mean by a tight fit, it fits for sure, and i wouldn't want it to be loose. It does take 2 ppl to put on/remove... but it only takes 1 minute if not less to do so...

At the same time, I put on/remove the hardtop myself. Takes me a bit longer tho
Old 10-17-2006, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by davidvonyork,Oct 16 2006, 06:28 PM

How many people do this?
Go for it!

I will be attempting the same task very soon. I understand that the weight savings is not substantial at around 20lbs., but for someone that does not drop their top very often and likes the look of the hardtop, its a good decision.

Funny, every time I have searched or read a thread about this topic, 90% of the posters want to talk the thread starter out of his idea........I guess it does make sense because the S is a roadster. However, I did not buy my car because it was a convertible. I purchased the car for the platform, drivetrain, performance, size and weight.

Mike
Old 10-17-2006, 07:17 AM

I agree on getting the Hard top, in fact im looking for one now. but IMO i just wouldn't take the soft one off weight savings are not much plus there is always that back door where you can go top less whenever you want
Old 10-17-2006, 08:54 AM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

I'd suggest just putting down the ragtop and drive around for a while with the hardtop on. After you've been through a few of those perfect topless days and you still feel you don't want the softop then remove it.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:33 AM

When I installed my rollbar a few weeks ago I was going to ripp out the soft top since I have a hardtop, but once I started taking stuff out I realized how much of a PITA it would be to put the soft top back in when the day comes to sell the car so I just left it. I'm pretty sure that resale would be kind of crappy without it.

Quick Reply: Hard top