S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

hard to shift into 1st and reverse

Old 05-19-2011, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hard to shift into 1st and reverse

i just bought a 2000 s2k w/ 40,000 miles and the next day im having issues getting it in first and reverse in the morning. i had pushed the clutch in and out and that didnt do anything, the clutch feels fine to me so i dont know what it could be, maybe regrease the shifter? anyway i had to force it into first and than i was able to put it into reverse, than at the light i had to force it into first again, but after that no problems. it does that mostly when the car sits for awhile (i think).

does anyone have any idea what it could be?
Old 05-19-2011, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by project*stealth
i just bought a 2000 s2k w/ 40,000 miles and the next day im having issues getting it in first and reverse in the morning. i had pushed the clutch in and out and that didnt do anything, the clutch feels fine to me so i dont know what it could be, maybe regrease the shifter? anyway i had to force it into first and than i was able to put it into reverse, than at the light i had to force it into first again, but after that no problems. it does that mostly when the car sits for awhile (i think).

I had the same problem with mine. I changed out the clutch fluid and it helped out tremendously. One other trick that will help in the mean time, first push the clutch in and put the shifter in third gear and then take it back out, let off the clutch, push the clutch back in and then try to put it into first or reverse. There's a DIY for the clutch fluid change around here somewhere, but it's pretty easy.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:54 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

search for shifter regrease, there is a tsb from honda. Other than that, there are a few other things to improve shift feel.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

coming off a stationary position (first/reverse) my guess would've been clutch fluid leak (master cylinder or slave cylinder). i think it would feel difficult to shift and the engagement would bite more. checking if the master cylinder is leaking is a quick and easy inspection. there's a plunger that the clutch pedal contacts, a leak would show like grey fluid against the wall. for the slave cylinder, you'd have to peak under the car for the black unit attached to the left side of the transmission for leaks.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Moogle
Originally Posted by project*stealth' timestamp='1305837155' post='20593772

I had the same problem with mine. I changed out the clutch fluid and it helped out tremendously. One other trick that will help in the mean time, first push the clutch in and put the shifter in third gear and then take it back out, let off the clutch, push the clutch back in and then try to put it into first or reverse. There's a DIY for the clutch fluid change around here somewhere, but it's pretty easy.

yeah ive been putting it 3rd than shifting it into reverse and that works. ill check the clutch fluid. i dont know why i didnt think of that. thanks for all help
Old 05-19-2011, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by s2k aok
coming off a stationary position (first/reverse) my guess would've been clutch fluid leak (master cylinder or slave cylinder). i think it would feel difficult to shift and the engagement would bite more. checking if the master cylinder is leaking is a quick and easy inspection. there's a plunger that the clutch pedal contacts, a leak would show like grey fluid against the wall. for the slave cylinder, you'd have to peak under the car for the black unit attached to the left side of the transmission for leaks.

ive done a clutch master cylinder replace, so i should know better and should have checked that first. thanks for the help, greatly appreciate it
Old 05-20-2011, 01:47 AM

I had the same problem when I first got the car. I regressed my shifter and never a problem again
Old 05-20-2011, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by nartnailuj
I had the same problem when I first got the car. I regressed my shifter and never a problem again

i noticed my fluid a little low in the master cylinder, and a little drop underneath the dash, so i dont think its the shifter... i already ordered master and slave cylinder. ill try bleeding first and see if that helps
Old 05-30-2011, 07:03 PM

no leaks in the master cylinder. bled the clutch. pedal feels stiff, still have issues putting it in first or reverse in the morning, i need to put it into 3rd or 4th than shift it into first or reverse. ive also re-greased the shifter as well. ill try to change out the transmission and differential fluid and see if that helps.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:41 PM

i also had the similar problem with my 02. so what i do now before the first engine start, i pushed the clutch all the way down, shift to 3rd, then 4th, then 1st, last is reverse.(if you need to backup on your driveway) if not, i just put 3rd, 4th, 1st, then go. sometimes i also like to go through all the gears before i take off

Quick Reply: hard to shift into 1st and reverse