S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Hard roof creaking

Old 06-12-2002, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard roof creaking

Hi

I put the hard top on my MY2000 a couple of days ago for the first time since I bought the car second-hand in March and notice that when I turn corners there is a creaking noise coming from where it meets the driver's side of the windscreen.

The hard top was on the car when I test drove the car and when I drove it home from buying it and I am sure I would have noticed any creaking then. With the soft top up it is fine.

I have driven it a few miles and don't think it is a case of it needing to settle. I have removed and replaced it once but it made no difference.

Firstly, stupid question, am I putting it on right? I don't have an instruction book for the hard top. Pegs in holes, trying to be as straight as possible, 2 handles at rear and 2 clips at front, then heater connector.

Otherwise, any ideas?

Cheers
potfish
Old 06-13-2002, 12:18 AM

What year model is yours ?? Mine is 2002, and I have two handle and the heater cable, no 2 front clips ! Anyway, I have experience some creaking sound, and I did what u did, take it off and put it on again, and it is gone. The position is very impt, try doing that again.

Just my 2 cents.....

Rgds
Rog
Old 06-13-2002, 07:49 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

MRII, you should go back and delete your duplicate replies. Go to edit/delete, check the box, then delete. I've done this on occasion when the system is a bit slow and I hit the "submit reply" a few times while waiting.

Are you sure that you do not have the 2 front latches? On the hardtop, you should still have to latch these just like you do on the soft top. If you don't, that sucker could come flying off at speed.

potfish, can you be certain that the replacement windshield latch plates were installed with the hardtop kit and that they are screwed in tight? The ones for the hardtop are much bigger and makes both hardtop and soft top pull down harder. If you do, then you might try to silicone the rubber seal on the top edge of the windshield to help reduce the squeaking. Also, you should be doing the windshield latches up first, then tightening the rear hold-downs last. Plus, it's possible that the rear hold down bracket on either (or both) the top or car have come loose causing too much movement like when you turn corners (the car frame's rigidity will move ever so slightly).
Old 06-13-2002, 08:22 AM

this might seem irrevelant but I don't have a hardtop and I hear a creaking noise. I thought at first it was the softop but when I listened closer, I noticed it was the driver's shoulder belt rubbing against the leather. You might wanna check it out.
Old 06-13-2002, 08:37 AM

clean the dust inbetween where the hardtop and the car meet...
its always the culprit
Old 06-13-2002, 08:58 AM

Mine was creaking badly. I did the following 3 things and the creaking went away. Sorry that I can't tell you which was responsible but I have no way of knowing:

1. Tightened the screws that hold the latch plates to the w/s header. One was loose
2. Put silicone grease on the rubber at the w/s header.
3. Removed the plastic pieces at the rear of the H/T that cover the rear latches. I then loosened the 3 bolts that hold the latch assemblies to the H/T. After that I installed the top on the car, latched it at the W/S and then tightened the 3 bolts on each side on the rear latch assemblies.

My top really didn't fit right before and was difficult to install. It now fits perfectly so I truly think it was #3 that did it.