S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Half Shaft Spacers - must read for lowered s2000s

Old 05-03-2007, 06:06 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by racecarpete,May 2 2007, 11:07 PM
Yes, more info on the nice shifter and shifter plate, please.

To the OP, with the amount that people are charging, wait until you have a problem and can justify the cost. Unless you are dumped, I really don't think you need them. I think it's a bling mod more than anything.
The shifter is for real I made it before the Axle flow was around. I have had it in the car for a few years now and it works great 30% shorter throw
It is a one off, to make another would cost too much to justify the expense. It took 4 month to build and it is made of mutable parts (no CNC)

Old 05-03-2007, 06:29 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KPUDDYDAD,May 2 2007, 04:40 PM
They have nothing to do with the alignment of the car. People just want them because some JDM outfit says there needed
Along those lines, does anybody know what specific issue these spacers said to fix? Pitting on the inner CV joints? Wheel bearing failure? Broken half-shafts? I've yet to hear a specific claim on what they're supposed to do.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just so you guys know, there is a vendor on ebay selling half shaft spacers for around 120 or 130. Still, that is ridiculous but it does beat the retard pricing that the other companies try to charge.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I was lowered on my tein S-Tech springs. I had the problem arise where I had to shell out 1K for new rear inner axle cups. When I examined the cups, I could tell the problem was way too much play in the wrong area of the cup. I support Spacers. Ill spend 200 to save paying 1k again. IMO

Why does everyone keep using the term.

"I have been lowered for 2 or 3 year with no problems"

It Matters HOW MANY MILES>NOT YEARS

Mine started happining after being lowered for 40K miles.

Now Have Tein flex. Slammed. Spacers. No problems.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jhondas2,May 3 2007, 09:37 AM
When I was lowered on my tein S-Tech springs. I had the problem arise where I had to shell out 1K for new rear inner axle cups. When I examined the cups, I could tell the problem was way too much play in the wrong area of the cup. I support Spacers. Ill spend 200 to save paying 1k again. IMO

Why does everyone keep using the term.

"I have been lowered for 2 or 3 year with no problems"

It Matters HOW MANY MILES>NOT YEARS

Mine started happining after being lowered for 40K miles.

Now Have Tein flex. Slammed. Spacers. No probelms.
On the 40K miles you were lowered before the problems, can you describe how you drove the car?
Launching the car often? AutoX, track use? any?
Old 05-05-2007, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by S2KBreaker,May 3 2007, 08:33 AM

Thanks for sharing that man.
This is the kind of answer with supporting history that I wanted to hear here.

I'm concerned about doing more harm installing them when not needed. My drop is on Espelirs, so it's not slammed, but I have these 10mm spacers sitting around for no use now.

I'm driving around some first to see if the springs settle anymore and see if I can notice any new behaviors with the car now that it is dropped to make the call on installing these or selling them.

Well, who's to say I won't have an issue at some point in the future? Sooner or later the half shafts will have to come out for one reason or another, and when they do, we'll see what they look like. Until then, or until we have a failure, I'm like the guy who jumped off the top of the Empire State Building; As he fell past each floor people could hear him say, "So far, so good."

If we do decide that we need spacers at some point we'll have the car apart and will be able to see and measure the exact amount of movement the lowering has caused and be able to have spacers made to put things back exactly where they were when the car was at stock ride height. Until I'm ready to be that thorough, and see a need for it, we'll be running the car sans spacers. If there is any real risk involved then anyone else doing the same thing I'm doing is taking the same risk, but I don't see how two thicknesses of spacer can be right for every car that has been dropped, independent of how much the car was dropped.

From what I've seen the problems come when the wear pattern in the cups changes due to lowering, so simply replacing the affected parts might be sufficient in and of itself. I also wonder how aggressive alignments affect the positioning and need for spacers.
Old 05-05-2007, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by S2KBreaker,May 4 2007, 07:25 AM
On the 40K miles you were lowered before the problems, can you describe how you drove the car?
Launching the car often? AutoX, track use? any?
I never launch, burn out, or track the car, its just my dd.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:14 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by RED MX5,May 5 2007, 06:03 PM
From what I've seen the problems come when the wear pattern in the cups changes due to lowering, so simply replacing the affected parts might be sufficient in and of itself. I also wonder how aggressive alignments affect the positioning and need for spacers.
So is the only issue the half-shaft spacers are supposed to address is the inner CV cup wear?
Old 05-05-2007, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Elistan,May 5 2007, 11:14 PM
So is the only issue the half-shaft spacers are supposed to address is the inner CV cup wear?
As far as I know that's the only issue, but I'm no spacer expert.

The damage I've seen looks like the result of changing the position of the joint and starting a new wear pattern next to the older pattern. All I have seen is a few pictures though, so I'm a long way from being able to determine what's happening with any confidence. I'll be in a better position to discuss the effects of the lowering on the CV joints after I wear out my originals and can tear them apart to see how they failed, but frankly, I'm in no big rush to go down that path. Unless the wear is in an unreasonable location I doubt very seriously that I'll ever bother with the spacers, but if it's obvously outside it's intended operating range then I'll take steps to fix it. Until then I'm taking the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" attitude.
Old 05-12-2007, 05:13 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you don't mind RED, I qouted your funny line for my signature.

Quick Reply: Half Shaft Spacers - must read for lowered s2000s