S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.
View Poll Results: Had TSB done and Still 1-2 Grind
Yes, TSB Done and still grinds
51.92%
No, TSB Done and Grinds gone
48.08%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Had TSB done and Still 1-2 Grind

Old 11-24-2003, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem and now that i am requesting lemon law due to their inability to fix the problem they are saying I abuse the car. We should all file suit on this because everyone i know has grinding problems and that is not right when you buy any car esp. the "top of the line honda" I am completely fed up and sick of being accused of things that are beyond my controll. Feel free to call me 414 828 4585 or e-mail me MrNceGy222@aol.com the more people that we can even get that have this problem the better (power in numbers) my mom is a lawyer and I have another lawyer on the case aswell please post up all your problems you have had with your S2k

Mat
Old 11-24-2003, 03:57 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car is in for work on the tranny. Right now the gearbox is being reassembled. I have babied this tranny: 4 fluid changes in 30,000 miles and almost always slow shifts from 1-2, since more rapid shifts sometimes produce a horrible grind. I've driven manual transmissions my entire life and this is the first one that has given me problems of any kind. To Honda's credit, all of the parts and labor will be covered under warranty.

Here's what was found wrong when the tranny was torn down:

1-2 synchros shot
Reverse synchro shot (explain that one to me, please)
Half shaft shot
4-5 fork shot (car was slipping out of gear)

Cleary there are problems with the design of this gearbox, problems that result in seemingly inconsistent failures from car to car. The changes in the 2004 tranny are at least an indirect admission by Honda that there were problems.

What galls me is that so many dealers and Honda itself try to escape responsbility by attributing the problems to driver abuse. This, IMHO, is unethical and dishonest. No doubt, some owners abuse the tranny. But most of the drivers I know are pretty damned cautious.

I always have to remind myself that AHM is little more than a corporate version of the Internal Revenue Service -- it's a huge bureacracy, with lousy communication from department to department. Talk to anybody on the inside of the organization, or any dealer who's tried to work with them, as I have done many times, and they all shake their heads in disbelief.

Given what I know, I consider myself very fortunate to have this work covered under warranty. I wn't have my car back for another week, but I'm confident my gear box will finally work the way it was intended to.
Old 11-24-2003, 08:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my 2nd gear synchro replaced and guess what it doesn't grind anymore....
Old 11-25-2003, 06:21 AM

Originally posted by DrM
I have only about 300ish miles on my MY04 but I am afraid my car has this same problem... So far, it looks like I have a classic grind on the 1=>2 shift if you shift rapidly. It doesn't do it on any other shift, no matter how quickly you shift.
That totally sucks. From what I have heard the 04 tranny changed from brass to carbon fiber syncros. Not that Honda is admitting a design flaw- just improving it...

I was hoping that the '04 syncros would fix the problem, so that I could have those put into my 03. At 3600 miles, I took it in for a 5-6 grind problem, and I was told that I shifted wrong. After 27 years of driving a stick, I think I know what I'm doing. Well, I am now shifting my S the "Honda way", and the thing still grinds on a 5-6 shift more than 1/2 the time.
Old 11-25-2003, 10:19 AM
pfb

. A "botched" TSB repair may have contributed to the severity of the grind as the problem was only made worse by attempts to fix it.
Clearly a problem... My transmission was out four times.

First time results were worse instead of better, and that particular dealer stonewalled any further rework. The car became pretty much undriveable when hot and driven hard.

Second time offered some relief, but the problem returned a few K miles later.

Third time was mostly for the clutch, but the inspection showed no problems.

Finally, the fourth time out, many additional parts were replaced, and so far so good.

All in all, I must say the tranny grinds where the most unpleasant issue I had with the car to date.