S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Grinding 1st To 2nd... How Often For You?

Old 07-12-2004, 12:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have grinded a gear one time in the 9 1/2 months and 8,700 miles I have owned my S. I was slowing from about 75-80 mph in 4th to about 45-50 mph. I braked, blipped and downshifted into 3rd gear. I was going around a slight bend approaching a tighter curve. It made it tricky to brake, blip and downshift simultaneously. I'm not 100% sure, but I think my clutch pedal was not all the way in because I grinded 3rd a bit when I downshifted from 4th.

That is the only time I ever grinded a gear in my car. My S just glides into 2nd gear upon upshifting from 1st. It seems to shift real easy when I'm in between 7-9k rpm.
Old 07-12-2004, 08:11 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Have a look at my post here:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...T&f=1&t=220049

I grind only when the tranny is HOT and I'm shifting really fast at redline but since this only happens a couple times a year, this is mainly my fault as I may be a bit less attentive than I ought to be. When the tranny fluid is HOT, one needs to be more focussed when shifting in a hurry. As I mentioned in that link, although you could be beating the syncros going from 1st to 2nd, if your stick position is not exactly dead on, you could also be clipping the 4th gear shift piece.
Old 07-12-2004, 06:52 PM

I have a new 04 with 3000 miles on it.
The same thing happens to me sometimes when shifting @8000rpm 1st to 2nd it grinds a little.

Now when shifting @ high rpms I sometimes make sure the gas throttle is half way or 3rd of the way up, this helps the syncros going from 1st to 2nd.

Try it and let me know the results.

You really have to pay attention when shifting @ high rpms.
Old 07-12-2004, 06:53 PM

I have a new 04 with 3000 miles on it.
The same thing happens to me sometimes when shifting @8000rpm 1st to 2nd it grinds a little.

Now when shifting @ high rpms I sometimes make sure the gas throttle is half way or 3rd of the way up, this helps the syncros going from 1st to 2nd.

Try it and let me know the results.

You really have to pay attention when shifting @ high rpms.
Old 07-12-2004, 07:05 PM

Only happens when the tranny's cold and I have a hot girl in the car that distracts me... Not kidding this has happened Too many times... quite embarrassing.

I have a MY01, I find that if I just take my time when the tranny's cold and when I'm shifting at low RPMS it's fine.. well ya I always shift at low RPMs when the tranny's cold.

I have never had a problem shifting hot at high RPMs it's like butter snick snick.

Old 07-12-2004, 09:11 PM

I have the same problem often...kinda makes me second guess before that first shift at high rpms. Honestly, it is my only gripe with the car. I've also heard that there is a TSB out for it...some clutch problem, so maybe give the dealer a call and see if their service department knows anything about it.
Old 07-12-2004, 09:21 PM

i grind quite often when i just got my car, about a month ago, but then i changed my driving habits... so now i dun grind anymore even at high rpms
IMO just pay close attn. and make sure you dun have a lazy foot...
Old 07-13-2004, 12:16 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

yes, I also occasionally grind when going into second...I'm sure its just be though...like the rest of these guys, my foot is just being lazy

should change when I get the ACT in though...supposed to give a more accurate feel of the engagement point.
Old 07-13-2004, 02:23 AM

what is grind feels like? is it just sound or you can feel it by hand ?
Old 07-13-2004, 05:52 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

both.

you'll KNOW when you do it. I've had my S 2 months and I only grinded once. Most of the time, I give the clutch time to spin down when shifting into second...this takes the majority of the load off the syncro. When shifting at redline, the syncro must slow the clutch down from 9000 to 6500RPM in a split second...there's lots of inertia to stop, and when it's too hot, it just can't stop it that fast, thus the grind due to the input and output shafts' speeds being mismatched.

I also double clutch most of the time. Clutch in, neutral, clutch out, rev, clutch in, shift, clutch out. That blip of the throttle matches the shafts (rev to where you think the RPM will be when you shift). This takes the vast majority of the work off the syncro. If it goes into gear with NO resistance, you got it right. If you're off just a little you'll feel a little resistance then it will pop into gear...that's the syncro matching the shafts. The blip of the throttle is important, or else the syncro will have to take the input from idle to 6000+RPM in a split second...again, beating it up.

Quick Reply: Grinding 1st To 2nd... How Often For You?