S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Grinding 1st To 2nd... How Often For You?

Old 07-11-2004, 12:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Grinding 1st To 2nd... How Often For You?

I'm getting pissed at myself. Normally I can shift rapidly and get the tires to chirp in my 1st to 2nd shift... so I can shift good.

I've just been missing 2nd sometimes, more often than I'd like... does this happen to you guys a lot? I mean GRINDING them at 9k cannot be good... I even tried again while the clutch was in and it still grinded... like I depressed clutch, shift, GRIND, back off a little bit but still in the shift point, and grind again so I have to take it out into neutral position and put it back in. Is this driver error or is it the 2nd gear synchros? I've heard the 1-2 synchro can go bad... but I'm guessing that since I can still do a rapid 1-2 shift with no grind it just might be driver error...
Old 07-11-2004, 12:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Uhmmm Recenly i'm grinding 2nd but No Big Deal......
Old 07-11-2004, 12:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i usually do that, but only when im really shifting fast
if i take it slower, then there is no possible way that i grind
try focusing on the shifting next time you drive, and learn what you are doing
i have found out that f i shift at 9k, i miss 20% of the time, but at 8k i miss only the odd once a month
good luck
Old 07-11-2004, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by Driv300mph,Jul 11 2004, 01:37 AM
I'm getting pissed at myself. Normally I can shift rapidly and get the tires to chirp in my 1st to 2nd shift... so I can shift good.

I've just been missing 2nd sometimes, more often than I'd like... does this happen to you guys a lot? I mean GRINDING them at 9k cannot be good... I even tried again while the clutch was in and it still grinded... like I depressed clutch, shift, GRIND, back off a little bit but still in the shift point, and grind again so I have to take it out into neutral position and put it back in. Is this driver error or is it the 2nd gear synchros? I've heard the 1-2 synchro can go bad... but I'm guessing that since I can still do a rapid 1-2 shift with no grind it just might be driver error...
When was the last time you flushed and bleed your clutch? Whatever you do, make darn sure that the clutch pedal is pressed all the way down to the floor when you shift up or down through the gears. You can't shift one of these transmissions without grinding gears resulting in damage unless the clutch is completely disengaged.
Old 07-11-2004, 12:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The car only has 12000 miles on it..

It doesn't happen all the time, more like 10-20% of the time like saud2k said. I do concentrate... Just wondered if you guys screwed up 10-20% of the time at 9000rpm like I do
Old 07-11-2004, 04:46 PM

it happens occasionally. I think it is from just getting lazy with the clutch and not pushing it all the way down. Or atleast timing the shift to engage when the clutch is all the way down. This is the problem I have sometimes with third if for some reason it takes me a split second longer to find 3rd, yet I still do the same quick clutch in - clutch out I do in other gears.
Old 07-11-2004, 06:11 PM

I've only mis-shifted a couple times in the year I've owned my S. For me, it's always been a case of releasing the clutch before I've put the shifter into gear.
Old 07-11-2004, 06:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will do this at least once a day during my AutoX runs. During street driving it seldomly happens.
Old 07-11-2004, 08:53 PM

is it suppost to be as smooth as say shifting from 4th to 5th? I ask because mine maybe not grinds but clips into 2nd ALOT. Let me know what you think... Thanks
Old 07-11-2004, 09:38 PM
K2S

Mine use to grind alot especially around 9krpm almost 50% of the time i would misshift at this rev range. So much so that i was scared of going that high of a rpm. Then i changed out the transmission fluid to redline MT and found changing gears much smoother and less grinding.

Dont get me wrong it still grinds especially when its cold but now it kinda like slips into 2nd after a slight grind whereas before it would just shake uncontrollably and bounce back into neutral. And the % of misshift has dropped to below 5%.

IMO I dont think 1st to 2nd will ever be as smooth as 4th to 5th. I find that after changing out the fluid i sometimes misshift into 4th when trying to shift from 5th to 6th, this never happened before.

Quick Reply: Grinding 1st To 2nd... How Often For You?