S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Greddy e-01 Installed (pics)...

Old 03-27-2003, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Greddy e-01 Installed (pics)...

I got my Greddy Profec e-01 today. For those who don't know, the Profec e-01 is a combination boost controller / eManage controller. I have no need for the boost controller part, but I do have the eManage intalled. The e-01 allows you to tune / monitor the eManage without a laptop. The cool thing is that the e-01 runs in Real-Time Communication mode (eManage term) so all updates are made immediately, you don't have to Export. First, here are the pics of the e-01 installed and on.

This was the best place I could find to put the LCD screen. This is where I previously had my V-AFC installed, and I liked that position.

The e-01 comes with quite a few parts. There is the main LCD that you see, a small control unit (3.5"x3.5" or so), a wired remote control, a boost controller valve, the Greddy Pressure Sensor, and wiring / mounting hardware.

To get the e-01 up and running you need to tap into 3 wires from the ECU. The 4th wire on the e-01 wiring is for an alternate device. I have a modified V-AFC harness already, so I used this to tap into. All you need to tap is the red 12v wire, the black ground wire, and the brown RPM wire. I found out later that with the eManage the brown wire actually is useless, as you can set the e-01 to use the eManage as it's RPM input - since the eManage is already wired for RPM signal. So, I have the e-01 and eManage both wired to the RPM wire for no good reason.

When you first run the e-01 you have to set up your car setting. Use the manual to set these 4 settings correctly. All but one of them is straight forward, the other you need to just set as the manual says for "All other Japanese cars". Once this is set up, you need to update your eManage using the e-01. This will upload the software to the eManage that allows the e-01 to talk to it. This takes about 5 minutes. Be sure that the car is not running when you try to do this. I didn't read the manual before trying this and I got errors. Once I read the manual and tried this with the car off everything went as it should.

After I had all of this setup I realized that the throttle position did not work correctly. I also noticed that I had a CEL. I figured it's some sensor or some signal that was interrupted during my power on's, power off's and restarts. The very first time I installed the eManage the same thing happened. It went away after a clearing and restart, and never came back. I'll probably have the code read tomorrow before clearing it. Since my throttle position was not showing on the e-01 I decided to grab my laptop, as there is still some functionality that the Support Tool has that I don't see on the e-01. I recalibrated the throttle position settings and when I started the car back up the throttle position worked just fine on the e-01.

As for the physical install. I have the eManage harness and the new 4 wires running down the the door sill under the plastic cover / carpet. My eManage is mounted to the metal behind the driver's seat (small carpet piece removed). 3M industrial velcro keeps the eManage there very well, a little too well. It's a pain to take off...that stuff is strong. I used another strip of 3M velcro to moung the e-01 main unit to the eManage. I ran the wire for the LCD across the back of the center console and then ran it under the carpet up to where it sits by the radio. The base for the LCD is simply slid under the center console plastic, just as my V-AFC was installed a while back.

The e-01 interface is simple, and I was in complete control of it within a few minutes. It's got tons of cool features, just like the eManage. Here are just a few: You can display 3 data pieces at a time while you drive the car. You have 4 different types of display for this data. Such as Graph, Meter, etc. The e-01 comes with a memory card that can record up to 3 hours of data. You can control all of the maps for the eManage directly from the e-01. With the supplied Pressure Sensor I can hook up a pressure sensor directly to the eManage or e-01 and now tune based on true boost levels not tricked MAP sensor readings. One of the cool things I saw right away was that I could set original and total duty cycle as display points, something I could never figure out how to do on my eManage w/ laptop. Now I can see just how maxed out these stock injectors are, and how much room they actually have with the proper fuel management system; something I've been curious about.

OK, that's all I have to say for now...I'll post tomorrow when I found out what the CEL is. I'm not worried about it at all, but I only have to drive one block to get to the dealership in the morning.
Old 03-27-2003, 11:20 PM

$_$
Old 03-28-2003, 06:08 AM

Wow, you got some cool toys in there. I can't wait to meet up with you Houston guys some time, looks like there are some pimp rides out there and you guys seem to be one of the more active groups on the site. Hope to catch up to you guys soon.

Rice
Old 03-28-2003, 06:42 AM

Originally posted by whiteGoKart39
$_$
Was that a question? The e-01 can be purchased for $500 online. I bought it from Titan Motorsports and that came with free overnight shipping. Compare this to the price of a good boost controller ($300-$500) and it's well priced.
Old 03-28-2003, 06:47 AM

Originally posted by Wesmaster
...I'll post tomorrow when I found out what the CEL is...
"VTEC SYSTEM FAILURE" - We tired to see if it was a one time code or if it was current, but the PGM was acting weird. We ended up just clearing the code. VTEC engaged fine when I left, no problems, I think this was related to all the fiddling I was doing with the eManage / e-01 during the initial setup.

I have noticed that my throttle position is off by quite a bit. When I'm at 50% it reads 80%. When I'm at 70% it reads 100%. When I'm at 0% it reads 1%. I might have to recalibrate, but this doesn't really affect the drivability of the car.
Old 03-28-2003, 01:31 PM

Cool... glad you got it up and running. Did you finally decide to run the power to the ECU or off the accessory line?

Dale
Old 03-28-2003, 05:39 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DSF_S2k
[B]Cool... glad you got it up and running.
Old 03-29-2003, 01:03 AM

that happend to me in my old turbo integra after i installed my VAFC all i did to fix it was reset the ECU and it never came back

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wesmaster
[B]

"VTEC SYSTEM FAILURE"
Old 03-29-2003, 01:04 AM

oh and by the way that unit looks real impressive.
Old 03-29-2003, 06:50 AM

I guess this will be your "Main Feature" at tonights get together. Good luck with your diagnosis today.

The question is, could this work better than a VAFC on a stock S2000? I might have to talk to you a little more tonight about future dyno runs.

Quick Reply: Greddy e-01 Installed (pics)...