S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.
View Poll Results: Are GPW S2000's worth the heavy $$$ premium? Sometimes as much as $3-$
Yes
42.53%
No
45.98%
Maybe
11.49%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Are GPW S2000's worth the heavy $$$ premium?

Old 09-15-2013, 08:00 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Da New Yawka
KBB isn't accurate when it comes to book values. We got people saying their 2001 Ap1 with 130k miles on KBB is worth $15k or something crazy like that. Here is a slightly more accurate look through NADA on that 2005 S2000...$21.2k

http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2005/...ster-2D/Values

Rosairo, our official Honda salesman, will give u the 411 on KBB book values.

When I say "GPW premium", I'm not talking $1-2k above what other S2k's cost. I'm talking $3-5k over other comparable S2k's are selling for.

Take that 2008 Rio Yellow above.in the link and picture it GPW. A seller on S2ki would want $29k for it, without hardtop.

The seller of the Rio Yellow is asking $27.9 w/ hardtop. Buy the car and sell the hardtop for $3500 and u know have a 2008 S2k for $24.5. I shouldn't even be saying this, since we have some S2000 flippers for profit on S2ki. WE know who u are.
I don't know why I quoted KBB because I really don't understand these pricing websites since values are all over the place. There is always a huge gap between NADA and KBB. But I am in the market for an S2000 right now and prices are scattered and high IMO.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:02 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

White having a mark-up in the Honda world is nothing new. It's been like this with the NSX and ITR for many years. Is it worth it? Hell yes. I paid a good premium for my 09 GPW and my current 08 GPW, and I didn't complain about the prices or lowball the sellers. I understood the value in a clean white S2000. I was the original owner of a Laguna for 6 years, absolutely loved the color (and it's still one of my favorites), but I wanted a white one the whole time I owned it.

I had to have an 08+ GPW for the revised red interior. Nothing is more "Honda" than a GPW car with red interior. It's just classic. So I believe the 08/09 GPWs are definitely worth the premium due to the new seat design/color. If you have an issue with the premium, just suck it up and pay the premium.... or, you can be like some of the lowballers that offered me thousands below my asking price on my GPW, and see where that gets you.

With all that said, if you don't get the hype about GPW, you're just missing the whole thing. It's a beautiful color and is not just your typical plain old "white". It also has the most history with Honda compared to any other color...

Old 09-15-2013, 08:08 AM
AZH

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jakescakes
Originally Posted by Da New Yawka' timestamp='1379248542' post='22779016
KBB isn't accurate when it comes to book values. We got people saying their 2001 Ap1 with 130k miles on KBB is worth $15k or something crazy like that. Here is a slightly more accurate look through NADA on that 2005 S2000...$21.2k

http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2005/...ster-2D/Values

Rosairo, our official Honda salesman, will give u the 411 on KBB book values.

When I say "GPW premium", I'm not talking $1-2k above what other S2k's cost. I'm talking $3-5k over other comparable S2k's are selling for.

Take that 2008 Rio Yellow above.in the link and picture it GPW. A seller on S2ki would want $29k for it, without hardtop.

The seller of the Rio Yellow is asking $27.9 w/ hardtop. Buy the car and sell the hardtop for $3500 and u know have a 2008 S2k for $24.5. I shouldn't even be saying this, since we have some S2000 flippers for profit on S2ki. WE know who u are.
I don't know why I quoted KBB because I really don't understand these pricing websites since values are all over the place. There is always a huge gap between NADA and KBB. But I am in the market for an S2000 right now and prices are scattered and high IMO.
Any blue book quotes are just misleading. Unfortunately, that isn't helping with inflated pricing. I searched for a while, negotiated with a bunch of sales that fell through and that helped me find the more realistic price range. Good luck shopping! Oh, and dealerships are waaaaay inflated. I saw two that were asking 29-30k and in reality they were 21.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by darkfalcon
Got mine 2 years ago for my '06 GPW with 61k miles, bone stock @ $18.5k. Well worth it IMO for a nicely maintained, California owned example.

Originally Posted by crcolton
I've got a 07 GPW and I paid a premium for the car, not because I wanted white but because I wanted low miles and no accidents. Part of the premium was the color and part was the miles... I agree you shouldn't be paying 5k more just for the color but the reality is you'll likely pay 2k to 3k more for a GPW than anything else. I paid 23k for my 07 with 35k miles and it had small tares in the normal soft top spots as well as a few rear bumper scratches... but after 3 months of looking at cars and having people lie to me about accidents I picked up the cleanest I could find and paid a premium for it.
You both paid very reasonable prices for your GPW's. Im not like the other guys, I search nationwide on multiple websites and I do a nationwide search on Craigslist. I posted links to some of the crazy prices around the country.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by darkfalcon' timestamp='1379237547' post='22778745
Got mine 2 years ago for my '06 GPW with 61k miles, bone stock @ $18.5k. Well worth it IMO for a nicely maintained, California owned example.

I've got a 07 GPW and I paid a premium for the car, not because I wanted white but because I wanted low miles and no accidents. Part of the premium was the color and part was the miles... I agree you shouldn't be paying 5k more just for the color but the reality is you'll likely pay 2k to 3k more for a GPW than anything else. I paid 23k for my 07 with 35k miles and it had small tares in the normal soft top spots as well as a few rear bumper scratches... but after 3 months of looking at cars and having people lie to me about accidents I picked up the cleanest I could find and paid a premium for it.
You both paid very reasonable prices for your GPW's. Im not like the other guys, I search nationwide on multiple websites and I do a nationwide search on Craigslist. I posted links to some of the crazy prices around the country.
Of course they did. One car had 61k miles, and the other had soft top tears & bumper scratches. Not serious stuff, but those little things play a huge role in how much the car can potentially be "marked up".
Old 09-15-2013, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by FISH22
Originally Posted by Da New Yawka' timestamp='1379265537' post='22779333
[quote name='darkfalcon' timestamp='1379237547' post='22778745']

Of course they did. One car had 61k miles, and the other had soft top tears & bumper scratches. Not serious stuff, but those little things play a huge role in how much the car can potentially be "marked up".
[/quote]
I was going to issue a "No Comment". But thats not really my style....

Let's see more votes!!!
Old 09-15-2013, 10:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I spent ~1.5 years looking for an AP2 GPW on tan.
I literally looked every single say, multiple times a day.

Now that had something to do with my location but also because I wouldn't pay a hefty premium on the GPW. I was looking for someone to sell me one that didn't think I should have to pay more for the color (even though I probably did, to some degree).

So it wasn't "worth" extra money to me, but in reality that was the exact one I wanted. And I spent many many hours looking for one, and my time IS money.

Supply and demand bro. I never once thought those people were crazy for listing them higher, I just didn't want to pay it.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:38 AM

I'm having a hard time not thinking this thread is directed towards me...

Considering mine is probably the only 08+ GPW with extremely low miles that's for sale on the forum right now. You should have seen what the last owner had it up for last year before I bought it (had 5k miles then).
Old 09-15-2013, 10:58 AM

I said "no comment" because you were talking about other cars flaws, when yours has a few questionable question marks. I really didnt want to say anything.

I posted prices of different year GPW's and posted a Rio 2008 w/Oem hardtop to show price differences.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:06 AM

I said "no comment" because you were talking about other cars flaws, when yours has a few questionable question marks. I really didnt want to say anything.

I posted prices of different year GPW's and posted a Rio 2008 w/Oem hardtop to show price differences.
A few questionable question marks? All I can think of on my car are the rolled fenders, but I would not call that a flaw. It was done properly and they weren't hacked up. Currently, you won't find an 08+ GPW that is cleaner than mine, and I'd put money on that. Not too many 5 year old S2000s out there (especially GPW) that still look new, smell new, and that don't have a single imperfection in the paint.