S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Got a Ticket for HID's???

Old 02-01-2003, 07:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i think you can fight lights part of the ticket by affidavit in calif - no need for court appearance (but it might depend on the county- call the court clerk)...
the license plate is a "fix-it" ticket. i think that you have to put the plate on (i just hung my by string from the hood latch) and take it to the police station where they sign off.
maybe we have some calif attorneys on the board who can give you some more info on this.
Old 02-01-2003, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]
[B]
You, the victim here has to do research and dig up some form of literature to prove the lights ar stock ( DOT approved ).
Old 02-02-2003, 04:25 PM

That sound like it will work.
Old 02-03-2003, 01:48 AM

I don't know about anyone else here but I find this a little disturbing. Just because you are driving around in a sports car does mean you are breaking the law somehow. Getting a ticket for something you were actually doing is one thing but getting a ticket for for having stock headlights is plain wrong. You should have no problem getting out of this ticket but it is still a waste of you time.

I already have an attorney I pay for so when stupid things like this happen I have fun with the legal system. You won't be able to get the cop in trouble for pulling you over but you should be able to waste his time as well and go make him look like a fool. I am an a$$hole though so I would plead not guilty and request a court trial. You would probably get it dropped at the hearing if you wanted it to but there is more satifaction by having it dropped in court after making him look like an idiot.
Old 02-03-2003, 04:18 AM

Originally posted by asdff
What is the purpose of the front license plate anyways?

I mean, it's not like people can memorize or jot down your license plate number if you're flying by going to opposite direction. I can understand the rear license plate, cops tailing you to run your plates, people seeing it if you try to flee the scene, etc. But what purpose does the front license plate serve anyways?
I would tend to agree, but in states that require front plates, it's the law, and wondering aloud why it is won't get you anywhere. It's like wondering why you can be pulled over for going 66 MPH in a 65 zone; it's stupid, but the law doesn't allow for "gray areas". Go to court and fight the headlight issue, but realize that you won't win on the front plate issue.
Old 04-11-2003, 05:49 PM

Originally posted by asdff
What is the purpose of the front license plate anyways?

I mean, it's not like people can memorize or jot down your license plate number if you're flying by going to opposite direction. I can understand the rear license plate, cops tailing you to run your plates, people seeing it if you try to flee the scene, etc. But what purpose does the front license plate serve anyways?
The reason why they've begun cracking down on them is that they're installing more and more red-light cameras, which require the front plate in order identify the violator.
Old 04-11-2003, 06:35 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

It's a shame the S2000 doesn't have levelers for the HIDs. Any kind of washboard road conditions can make it appear that an S2000 driver is flashing the brights.

That said, I don't know if whites2ooo was on the bumps when this happened. IMO, a cop could be forgiven for being irritated with the appearance of aggressiveness in such a case.
Old 04-11-2003, 06:41 PM

cops are so stupid, i wouldn't allow him to write me a ticket and would 'school' him right on the spot.
Old 04-11-2003, 08:22 PM

i've been pulled over 2x. 1st time he made me get out and asked me a few questions about the headlights (why they are so bright, how do they work, etc). 2nd time the cop did a full inspection on my car (made sure all the lights worked and etc) and after not finding me in violation of anything, let me go.
Old 04-12-2003, 06:12 AM

For the life of me, I could never imagine being stopped and accepting a ticket for "blue lights." Not all police are car fanatics and oftentimes will apologize for such a mistake. The key is how you present the information to them. For instance, if I had been involved in the same scenario (I too run without a front plate) I'd say, "officer, you got me on the front plate. No excuses there but the headlights are high intensity discharge lights which appear blue. They are standard equipment on the S2000 and run about $1500/pair unlike the $30 blue lights you often see on car's costing 1/2 as much. They're DOT certified...there's not much I can do about them because they come standard with the automobile."
Any cop that gives you a hard time after this explaination deserves a boot up his ass. Plain and simple. As for the price quoted above, I'm not sure how much they run but I took a stab at it. You get my point. I haven't seen a pair of blue lights yet that look anything like HID's.

Quick Reply: Got a Ticket for HID's???