S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Got my second S2000 Yaeeey- After total loss! :(

Old 01-26-2018, 07:17 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Got my second S2000 Yaeeey- After total loss! :(

Some of you will have no doubt seen my thread regarding the crash of my newly repainted 04 S2k this past December. Well I am happy to report that I was able to reach a fair settlement with my car insurance company regarding the total loss value (if anyone has any specific questions about how the process with insurance went, you can PM me). Insurance paid $22,250 for my previous car w 50K miles (I had to argue the value with them for a bit but in the end I was happy with the final number).

I loved my previous car and I had put in a lot of time and effort into getting it "dialed in! - shout out to Matt. I had seriously considered getting a 2017 GTi (still might get one in a few months). But at the end of the day it had to be another S2000. 2 Years with my old one was just not enough time for me to stop loving it.

I was lucky enough to find an almost identical car which I purchased only 3 weeks after the accident. I have had the car for a month now (1000 miles) and I finally got a chance to get it washed (a lot of salt and dirt on the road out here). I wanted to get an 06+ this time for the traction control and slight differences but in the end with these cars it is about what is available on the market with the right condition. I checked out a few cars in person including a CR but I found out there is a huge difference in checking out pictures online and seeing a car in person. That is the reason why this time instead of having a PPI done by a third party and having the car shipped to me, I flew out to do everything in person.

The CAR:
2005 S2K w 39000 ( this is the same mileage that my first car had when I got it)
Single Owner (clean car fax)
9 VINS (front bumper has been resprayed - I'm ok with that)
Car is 100% stock
Exterior 8/10 (silverstone)
Interior 9/10 (red black)
Paid $23,000+tax (Honda Dealer- was listed for 2800, negotiated it down from 26k)
Car has complete maintenance record (done at Honda dealer)
I have all books and keys (including some items I didn't have for my previous car)

So far I have put on brand new set of AS3+ (225/255) tires (I am liking it better than my DWS06 setup - better turn in and softer ride).
I had the modifry roof straps lying around - never put it on my previous car, so I installed those. adding padding to the common wear spots
re greased all the roof molding and joints
I intend to do all the fluids at 45K in spring (Diff,trans,Coolent, Brake clutch and Engine oil + cabin and air filters )
Intend to get an alignment done in the next week or two (car tracks straight but when I had tires put on, they did an alignment check and it is definitely in need of a tune up)
I had the after market radio from my old car put back in (along with the dash control Chip)
Transmission going into 2nd in below zero is a bit notchy but my old car was the same way (chalk it up to cold) might consider doing shifter regrease TSB but with the miles on the car might be premature right now
Does the 05 need a valve adjustment is that just the 06+?
THis time I put in a dashcam (blackvue 590) - its working as intended but can't say I am too impressed with the quality even at 60fps.

If there is something important I missed, please let me know as far as basic maintenance checks.

I had the dealer do a compression test and they said 210 across all 4 cylinders and that the spark plugs were good (my last car had a test done in summer in FL and it was 238,238,238,236. I am wondering if the 210 is normal delta between testing methods or if the dealer made the numbers up, They didn't share any details. I didn't pay for the test so I am wondering if I should even worry about getting that done at a third party. The engine feels strong and the car pulls just the same as my old car. Also the engine bay is super clean.

iPhone picture in grocery store parking lot.

Old 01-26-2018, 07:29 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow that looks great congrats!
Old 01-26-2018, 07:49 AM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

The paint looks sparklingly new. You must be fond of grey color.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by rudyy
The paint looks sparklingly new. You must be fond of grey color.
Thanks! Honestly the paint looks like that because of the liberal coats of wax the dealer has put on it. I am a bit afraid to know what the car looks like underneath (but given the history and condition of the rest of the car, I should be ok). Already managed to land a few stones on it in my possession (word to the wise, steer clear of UPS trucks).

GPW w red interior was my 1st preference but those are not easy to find in stock condition for a reasonable asking price. The closest I got was an 08 w six owners that had a lot of paint chips and interior seat damage. Asking price was 27K with 50K+ miles...

If I ever thought about respraying anything in the future, I would strongly consider a white wrap (glossy to get the factory look).
Old 01-26-2018, 09:09 AM

Congrats! Car looks like it's in pristine condition, you should try to keep it that way, doing so will help the car hold its value.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:25 AM

Received 183 Likes on 140 Posts

Congratulations, that looks like a very clean S2K! Have you checked to see if the rear axle nuts have been re-torqued?
Old 01-26-2018, 10:04 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Congrats!! Looks brand new
Old 01-26-2018, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by GuthNW
Congratulations, that looks like a very clean S2K! Have you checked to see if the rear axle nuts have been re-torqued?
Thanks yeah. I will have that checked out when I get an alignment. Is 60 degree past the factory staking mark still the way to go? Never did figure out what the correct torque number is...
Old 01-26-2018, 12:01 PM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

That car looks great . Too bad you are driving it on salty roads.
Levi
Old 01-26-2018, 12:13 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats ! Looks great and glad you got insurance stuff taken care of.

Quick Reply: Got my second S2000 Yaeeey- After total loss! :(