S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Got Into Accident On 10/24

Old 10-30-2001, 10:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Got Into Accident On 10/24

Yeah, you heard it right. What is that, 3 S2000's in this month? Well heres how it happened...

I was driving to school, and wanted to stop and get gas. I missed the gas station and had to make a U-Turn. Now sometimes, I like to whip my tail out and give a little free show to other cars around. I've done this several times, and have never had a problem. Always nice and smooth. But for some reason, this time, things didn't go as smooth. I totally hate myself for this, cause the accident could have been prevented if I would have used my brain and let my foot off the gas. You'll see how. So I make the U-turn, and half way through, I punch it. The rear end slides out to the right, I correct it, then it slides out to the left, I try correcting it again, then it just does a snap 180 degree turn to the right. The right rear wheel hits the curb, and my car is on the center island divider. And all this time, I had my foot on the gas. Someone, please smack me. There is body damage, and suspension damage. Lucky for me, there was no frame damage whatsoever. So when the cars repaired, it will handle perfectly again!

The cost for the damage is coming out to roughly $4k. The suspension parts that need to be replaced are as follows:

Lower Arm, Upper Arm, Control Arm, Stabilizer Bar, Strut Assembly. Of course, the rim needs to be replaced. Both rear tires are being replaced as well. The rest of the cost is going towards repairing the body damage and the cost of labor. The reason the body got damaged was beacsue the cars low, and the curb was high. So the bottom of the right fender got dented in badly. The scratches all over the sides are from teh bushes.

I'd like to post pictures of the car, but don't know how. If anyone here would like me to send them the pictures so you can post them, I would greatly appreciate it.

By the way, if my pictires get posted, someone please look at my window tint and tell me if you think it's illegal. I got a ticket for it.
Old 10-30-2001, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That wasn't very smart.
Old 10-31-2001, 03:00 AM

insurance or not??
after my accident i dont do anything withthe car, i drive it like a wuss. i might as well own a mx-5 (miata)
Old 10-31-2001, 04:15 AM

Sorry to hear! I felt your pain while reading your account of what happened. I can't imagine the reaction at the gas station.
Old 10-31-2001, 05:30 AM

Jesus

we're just dropping like flies....that sux

welcome to the club
Old 10-31-2001, 07:58 AM

Originally posted by VTEC Racer
By the way, if my pictures get posted, someone please look at my window tint and tell me if you think it's illegal. I got a ticket for it.
Sorry to hear about your accident. I guess you always learn something from your (expensive) mistakes. Hope you get back on the road real soon.

As I understand it, side tinting in CA is now legal up as far as the front windshield. Front windshield tinting is generally only O.K. if you have a medical (vision) problem, and must be to certain specs. If you got a ticket for side windows, you should be able to get out of that one. The CA law specifics for tinting are about 3/4 of the way down here: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc26708.htm
Old 10-31-2001, 08:18 AM

If you want to send them to me (I assume they are digital pics), I can post them for a few weeks

rick@malthaner.com
Old 10-31-2001, 08:33 AM
Banned

Actually, keeping your foot on the gas is exactly what you want to do in this situation. If you lift the throttle, your tail will fly around in the opposite direction. It's not textbook "throttle lift oversteer" or "trailing throttle oversteer", but it's quite similar. What this sounds like to me is that the more or less 'natural' reaction of lifting off the gas took place and you lifted off the gas too quickly and what happened happened.

Keeping your foot on the gas and countersteering is what you want to do...you have to be prepared for the violence of the tail whipping around if you lift too much or too quickly off the gas...

I know you said you stayed on the gas, but what you have described wouldn't have resulted the tail doing that, IMO...not trying to bag on you, just to make others aware of what to do in case this happens to them...

What is happening is that you are unloading the rear tires by lifting off the gas (or even worse, by braking...DO NOT do that in this situation until you have the tail under control), that is what causes the tail to whip around like that...it's a difficult situation to control, especially at any kind of speed, if you are not prepared for it. But staying in the gas will keep the rear loaded and inline, as long as you countersteer...

Glad you're OK...

Old 10-31-2001, 10:57 AM

Sorry to hear about your accident. Wear on the tires might've contributed to the back end flipping out also. Damn, $4k in damage!!!
Old 10-31-2001, 03:10 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by VTEC Racer:
I like to whip my tail out and give a little free show to other cars around.

Sounds like you showed your own tail, VTEC.

Quick Reply: Got Into Accident On 10/24