S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Got hit today

Old 09-26-2012, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spindash
Originally Posted by Ouhei' timestamp='1347636126' post='22011654
[quote name='dv55xc' timestamp='1347633825' post='22011538']
That looks rough man but at least you're alright. I know I would be beyond pissed at myself, the lady, the world if that happened to me. Hopefully they don't total your car and just repair it.
If they do repair it, do I have the right to ask for cash to account for the loss in value of the car? The KBB on it in the shape it was in was $18-18.5k but there's no way I could ask that after this.
Do you have the right to ask? YES. Chances of actually getting some compensation? Pretty bad in most cases.

I made an attempt at this, supposedly you are entitled to diminished value on your vehicle in order to restore you to your condition before the accident. It just so happens the chances of getting it from big chain insurances are not good. My car got hit while it was parked - by a third party (had all original VIN tags, original paint in excellent shape, and perfect carfax). I asked their insurance for small cash compensation for diminished value, and after 3 months of promises and calls got completely stonewalled. I provided them with the exact evidence they said they needed in order to send my payment, then they dragged it out a few weeks and closed my claim.
The paintwork repairs weren't the same as before either, but were deemed "industry standard" and insurance refused to pay for a front end repaint to get the color consistent. They just blended the new replaced fender, so my once consistent paint color isn't so consistent anymore. It was a horrible, horrible experience. I'd ask for diminished value for sure (you absolutely take a loss in resale value for someone else's mistake) but wouldn't expect much. Who knows though, maybe they have a good insurance company...

Really sorry to hear this happened, best of luck with it.
[/quote]

Spindash is correct. In NC you can ask for Diminished Value compensation. Its a somewhat arbitrary valuation but I would try to figure out how to value the car with no accident on record vs. the dreaded CarFax accident report to explain to potential buyers.

Good luck and sorry about the crash. The people here in the Triangle are always in such a rush.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Danwolski
Glad to hear. Whats the cars value? because with that much damage im thinking most ap1s would be totaled.
Yeah, the KBB on my car is $18,500 (which is ironically enough, what I paid for it 2 years ago). If I had an earlier model she'd be toast. My airbags didn't deploy either, I'm sure it'd be a different story if they had.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:51 PM

the airbags would've added about 3k to your total. mine was similar but no door damage and airbags deployed. My total costs ended up to be 12k.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:10 PM

Glad to see your getting this thing back Know how this feeling is, got my 02' back from paint and then 3 weeks later it got backed into by a drunk driver while i was at a complete stop no suspension harm was done but most of the frontend was toast... Spent a little over $3,800 on paint and got all the parts i needed from my stash of parts lol. This is the night after, and my sig pic is first day back from paint

Old 09-27-2012, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by z_speed
the airbags would've added about 3k to your total. mine was similar but no door damage and airbags deployed. My total costs ended up to be 12k.

Yeah, I got lucky they didn't deploy. Obviously for damage reasons but I think I would have been more shaken after the accident if I had been hit by them.

Originally Posted by AK_9K_ALL DAY
Glad to see your getting this thing back Know how this feeling is, got my 02' back from paint and then 3 weeks later it got backed into by a drunk driver while i was at a complete stop no suspension harm was done but most of the frontend was toast... Spent a little over $3,800 on paint and got all the parts i needed from my stash of parts lol. This is the night after, and my sig pic is first day back from paint

That's rough man! Hopefully I don't get hit right after getting her back, I think I would cry.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:26 AM

.....suxxxx wish the best either way as long as your ok , hope it gets fixed right ...best of luck
Old 09-27-2012, 08:21 AM

sorry about that mate. as for repair, i would say more than likely you're okay. =[ good luck
Old 10-01-2012, 05:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude, sorry to see the accident...glad to hear you are OK and your car will be repaired. Good thing your Dad is where he is...to supervise and all.Try and get some pics of the work being done if you can.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:52 AM

Bringing this up from the dead since I finally got the car back today. Huge delay with getting the new wheel done and some other crap but I have it back!

Attachment 197380

Still have to work with the shop to get some finishing pieces installed, but they're on backorder. The shop was paying for a rental for me since it was originally going to be done a week ago, since the car is entirely drivable and just missing small crap (antenna, finishing piece on the door panel, etc) I told him I'll just bring it by whenever that stuff comes in. They're going to buff the paint when I take it back as well.

Insurance is going to be a while still, they're going to arbitration.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:57 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Glad everything is going good!!

Quick Reply: Got hit today