S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

good healthy rpm launch

Old 07-06-2003, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I meant was that when you dump the clutch, it's already engaged-- so you can't engage it. it was just worded wierd. I'll try a launch again, the first time I think I gave it too much gas after I dropped it cause it wouldn't catch and I smelled my clutch for like an hour!
Old 07-06-2003, 09:26 PM

Yes, it's engaged, but it's not FULLY engaged. The problem with clutch drops is that if not done properly, you fry the clutch. Basically, if your engine is revving higher without the car accelerating any quicker, and the clutch is in, you're frying your clutch.

Thus, we dump the clutch and feather it out. With it only partially engaged, it can more easily take the slippage.
Old 07-06-2003, 09:59 PM

there's video of me launching..... enjoy~
7k rpm...
Video
Old 07-06-2003, 10:22 PM

alexf20c, thanks a lot.. that makes much more sense. i'll have to try this out one time but wish my clutch & rear diff luck!
Old 07-06-2003, 11:06 PM

Originally posted by alexf20c
Yes, it's engaged, but it's not FULLY engaged. The problem with clutch drops is that if not done properly, you fry the clutch. Basically, if your engine is revving higher without the car accelerating any quicker, and the clutch is in, you're frying your clutch.

Thus, we dump the clutch and feather it out. With it only partially engaged, it can more easily take the slippage.
The stock clutch does not like to be slipped.
If you want a clean launch without frying your clutch or stressing out your drivetrain too much, you should completely drop the clutch as quick as you can in a certain RPM that's determined by the amount of available traction and then control the amount of wheelspin with your throttle.
Old 07-07-2003, 10:54 AM

I meant feather the gas, after the initial clutch drop. Feel for the traction to hit and then accelerate. again you want the tires to spin a bit at first, not all the way through 1st.
Old 07-07-2003, 12:58 PM

Originally posted by JL9000

The stock clutch does not like to be slipped.
If you want a clean launch without frying your clutch or stressing out your drivetrain too much, you should completely drop the clutch as quick as you can in a certain RPM that's determined by the amount of available traction and then control the amount of wheelspin with your throttle.

Well, duh. No clutch does, especially under hard acceleration. But considering most don't know how to properly clutch drop, slipping the clutch is the more logical solution.

Plus, the car doesn't have enough power to modulate wheelspin with the throttle alone. Let off for 1/2sec and your wheelspin is gone; you're not getting it back; your engine bogs.
Old 07-07-2003, 04:23 PM

After you slip it, the stock clutch won't be able the grab hold of anything anymore. That means slower acceleration and a burnt clutch. If you're talking about street racing, then I have no comment. But slipping the clutch is never the proper way to make a quick launch.

You have to know at what RPM is good to drop the clutch at under the condition you're launching your car, and 1-2 seconds of wheelspin is all it takes to make a clean, fast launch.

This guy is asking for advice on how to launch the S2000 properly, so you should give him the best way. Would you teach your kid to use the calculator when he want's to know what one plus one equals to?
You want to make sure he knows the right way to do somthing, not try to get around it and evetually rely on a poor technique to do a simple task.

And please don't think that I'm trying to flame you or anything.
Old 07-07-2003, 04:25 PM

Hehe, I was never a good teacher.

I'd tell him exactly what to do, but I don't think he'd understand.
Old 07-08-2003, 08:18 AM

slipping.. .dropping... what's the difference exactly??

Quick Reply: good healthy rpm launch