S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Is this a good deal?

Old 09-15-2009, 04:13 AM

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

thanks! we'll see how it goes tomorrow. i've managed to drag a s2k buddy of mine to come along and see it.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can replace the top with a non-oem top with glass rear window for about $1200 or less, and then simply replace the latches for not much money. That will eliminate the tears and foggy plastic and the top will be like new. Just FYI.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:41 PM

i was in your situation dude, trying to pay cash for an s2000 and find one under 9000. i decided to suck it up and get a small loan and buy a nicer one. im glad i did it that way
Old 09-15-2009, 09:07 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Buy a nicer car. Both these cars show their age.

I bought an 04 with 61K on it and only the front bumper had a little damage. Otherwise the car looks and drives like new. At the time, 2 months ago, the best price in the bay area for that car was 15.7, which I paid off a dealers lot. Others were selling same car, same mileage for 17-20K. They would laugh at me when I offered 15ish. They all still have those cars, cause my wife and I drive by and smile.

KBB said private sale was 15.1, dealer 18.8 and trade in 13.6.

Do some more searching. I'd want the car to be under 65K and pick your years carefully. AP1's have known retainer issues which can bite you in the ass if the previous owner over revved the motor.

If you hunt for parts on this site you can do things for a lot less money. I'm getting parts like new or new for half the price I can find elsewhere and some really nice people to help you. Keep that in mind. Don't buy anything you HAVE to fix to drive. That's a waste of time and money.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:23 AM

There is nothing seriously wrong with that car. 105K is not that bad for $8K. That salvage title car looks like a POS in comparison. You don't need to finance the rest and get a more expensive car when this one seems to be well maintained. Why spend the extra money on the interest? I already pointed out how inexpensive all the negatives are to fix and if it checks out mechanically then I see no reason to run away from that particular car. All my opinion of course. Let us know how it goes.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:27 AM

if that's ur budget and aren't willing to spend much more than that, then this is the quality of car you should be expecting to find. salvage titles, cars that need a little tlc and mechanic specials, everything that you mention regarding the condition of the car seems cosmetic and reasonably cheap and easy to fix. Seriously, if the engine and transmission are good, it does seem like a very reasonable price. stop being a lowballer or you'll end up with something worse where someone lies to you on the condition of the vehicle. Take your tools and do you compression test, if it checks out, i'd definitely go for that.

For the fogging plastic window, get mcguires Plastix, i'm sure you can find latches for the convertable for under $100 here on this site. Mileage is fine, it's a f-ing honda for christ sakes. Since you want to daily and track the car, there is no reason to spend the extra $$ on a nicer looking car, it will not bother you as much if ur at a mall and someone dings you car.

it's ur money and ur decision, these are only my opinions and should be taken as such.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:33 AM

I love how every salvaged titled car ad states "minor damage". If the damage is really minor, why would the insurance company write it off?
Old 09-17-2009, 09:18 AM

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

i talked him down to $7000. i may pick it up when i get back from vacation. i test drove her and she drove better than some of the lower mileage AP1's i've been testing out. he just recently replaced the bumper with an OEM one and had it repainted.

Here are better pictures.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:47 AM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

What's all that spooge above the front plate?

If it's mechanically sound $7k is probably a good price. If you need the vin run PM it to me.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:52 AM

You can get a new soft top with a glass window for $520 shipped on topsonline.com's Ebay store. You can also get latches from the many partouts you'll find in the classifieds section for about $40. Installation will run you around $400-500 or you can install it yourself with the DIY guide we have on here...

I say you should go for it, $7000 is a pretty good deal if the car is running strong. After you install the new top and replace the tires your looking at $8500 for a nice s2000.

Quick Reply: Is this a good deal?