S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Is this a good deal?

Old 09-14-2009, 03:12 PM

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Is this a good deal?

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/1372932277.html

Guys, i've been talking to the owner of this car and he seems pretty desperate to make a sale. Im very interested in the car but the mileage (105k) and a few of the problems hinder me from buying it. Here's the bad that he mentioned in our conversation:

105k Miles
Tires need to be replaced
Tear on the soft top
No LATCHES for the soft top so he's been driving top down everywhere
Half dollar size dent on passenger door
Scratches on rear bumper
Rock chips on front bumper
Rear window is wrinkled and starting to haze

I know, a lot of bad but here is the good.
Clean Title
CHEAP
Black on Black

I'll be checking it out on Wednesday. Anything i need to specifically look for when it comes to a 2000 AP1?

Thanks Guys,
Allen
Old 09-14-2009, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

id just spend a little more money for a nicer car.
i got my 2000 ap1 about a month ago. its white, 36k miles. no damage. mint condition and i payed 12k
Old 09-14-2009, 04:01 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Are those pictures of the car dated 2006? That would be my first problem with the deal. Glad to hear that you are seeing it in person on Wednesday. Good luck.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:21 PM

i'll pass.... the cost of what i'll spend fixing all this doesn't justify the cost of the car.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:10 PM

hmm I don't think it's a bad deal. None of those things are expensive to fix and even with the mileage there are many S2k's that were well maintained and have a lot more miles. Tires are a maintenance item. You can find used latches probably for $100-150 for both. Depending on the hole and where it is I have had 2 patched in 2 different places for $70. The window can be fixed with just some plastic polish if it isn't torn. Rock chips and small blemishes are to be expected. Dents can be pulled by PDR depending on location. The guy below you paid $12K you are looking at $4K less which is substantial, and the problems you mention are barely a fraction of the difference in cost. Doesn't sound to bad to me if the car is mechanically sound.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd wait until Wednesday til you see it in person before thinking too hard.
When I was looking I saw a pic of a beautiful 01 in NJ, drove 2 hours with cash to check it out.... when I got there, it was in HORRIBLE shape, the top was messed up with white sticky stuff all over the back, the paint was obviously re-sprayed and horrendous b/c it was cracking all over and peeling, the headlights were cloudy and scratched and the taillight was broken. BROKEN. With a hole. It made me physically ill to look at. Didn't even drive it, ran home immediately.
Of course they aren't gonna show you stuff like this in a picture. Go look at it, go drive it. Ask about maintenance, why they're selling, etc.
If the guy seems shady, walk away. An $8000 headache is not a good deal.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

go check it out first. miles dont matter i got an 02 clean title with 170k miles couple months back for 6000. its in great condition needed mechanical work i fixed it and i daily drive it. doesnt burn a drop of oil or anything actually with cold cold ac. if hes asking 8000 see if you can get it for 6500?
Old 09-14-2009, 06:08 PM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd say it's a good deal if there are no serious mechanical problems and you can get it with a decent top working for $8k.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:05 PM

i talked to him again a few minutes ago.

he said he still owes $7800 so he can't go any lower. San Diego is over 3 hours away from me but im trying to get a friend of mine to come along. i'll check it out and take plenty of pix. as for the top i may just go with a hardtop and call it a day. dent can be pulled and tires are no biggie.

problem is he hasn't had any significant work done to it... just oil changes. i'll have to bring my tools and compression tool to make sure it checks out.

$8k is reasonable i suppose.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:40 PM

I'd say offer him $7,000. For the mileage / soft top issue he won't get 8k. Then gut the soft top for weight, and put a hardtop on...especially since it's a year with the plastic rear window. My S has the convertible gutted and I haven't looked back since. But I also had my top slashed / seats stolen so that was added motivation for the hardtop.

Quick Reply: Is this a good deal?