S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

GOD, I HATE HONDA...(tranny related)

Old 11-14-2000, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...DEALERSHIPS! After complaining to Torrence and 3 different dealerships, for the past 11 months, about my grind, I finally found a dealer (Thousand Oaks Honda, SOCAL)who had done the fix and was going to do mine. Received the parts, so I dropped it off today.

Do you believe, they couldn't replicate the frigging grind! (Duh!) So "techline" wouldn't let them fix it. Hell, I was probably one of the first formal complaints they got on it (Jan 4th)long before there ever was a service bulletin, I've documented it 3 other times, they've got the service bulletin now, they've done the fix on their GM's car...but now they have to experience the grind themselves!

Torrence is involved, but that shouldn't have been necessary. You know you've got a problem, fix it!
Old 11-14-2000, 05:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry to hear of the hassle.. I suspected this would happen as the weather cools because it then grinds less frequently. In fact with a fluid change and cooler temps you have to work the box pretty hard to get a grind at all.

If they won
Old 11-14-2000, 06:33 PM

Chris - I changed my tranny oil a couple of months back and it certainly made a difference. Have you heard an explanation as to why new oil mitigates the grind?
Old 11-14-2000, 06:38 PM

Would the new tranny oil happen to be redline tranny oil? Some people swear by that stuff. Does it help ? Or is it only a temporary fix ?
Old 11-14-2000, 06:51 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by BobRod:
Chris - I changed my tranny oil a couple of months back and it certainly made a difference. Have you heard an explanation as to why new oil mitigates the grind?
I think changing the oil from the factory fill simply provides a slightly higher viscosity. This delays the grind until a higher temp is reached, and now that summer is past it seems like a fix. It isn
Old 11-14-2000, 07:42 PM

an alternative is to drain all the oil from the tranny. drive several miles, the grind is guaranteed to return.
Old 11-14-2000, 10:39 PM

Yes, the grind will return, however the car will not RETURN! Plan on a flatbed to your local dealer if you do this!

Now isn't this the worst case of Murphy's Law? Don't back down, make them fix it! Become like a bad nightmare to your dealership - don't go away!
Old 11-15-2000, 05:02 AM

Keep after them to fix it. The TSB even says the problem is intermittent so what are the odds of them getting it to grind??
My dealer couldn't duplicate the problem either but I told them I wanted it fixed,period. Call your zone office. Call Ralph Nader. Call anyone you can think of.

Also, I put Redline MT-90 in the tranny to try and solve the grind. It didn't.
The TSB does.
Old 11-15-2000, 11:02 AM

If they will let you replicate this problem take it out and drive it for atleast 30 minutes and then put it in first floor it and shift at 7200 rpms as fast as you can. This for me always grinds.
Old 11-15-2000, 11:39 AM

call santa monica honda and speak to Ron Gee.

tell him Richard Ming sent you his way.

Quick Reply: GOD, I HATE HONDA...(tranny related)